I'm looking for a solid concise way to

• Thread starter Rants
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Solid
In summary: Perhaps you could try another web browser?In summary, the conversation discusses the difference between theoretical physics, which is based on evidence, and junk New Age pseudo-physics that distorts theories such as gravity into concepts like the "Law of Attraction." The speakers wonder if there is a way to make pseudo-physicists understand the need for evidence in accepting factual information. They suggest pointing them to the Sokal affair and exposing them to the history of theoretical physics, where the language is math and theories must be falsifiable through experiments. However, the conversation also acknowledges the difficulty in getting pseudo-physicists to listen to these arguments. Suggestions include letting them do most of the talking and asking questions, as well as trying different web browsers if
Rants
make someone understand the difference between theoretical physics (which is based on evidence) and junk New Age pseudo-physics.

For example, when the theory of gravity is distorted into the "Law of Attraction" behind THE SECRET which says you can get whatever you want just by thinking about it.

Is there a concise, bullet proof argument that can cause an epiphany in the armchair pseudo-physicist? To make them realize "hey, you really do need evidence to accept something as factual."

Physics news on Phys.org
Wow!

Sokal produced a paper that argued that quantum gravity has progressive political implications

I would start by exposing this person to the history of theoretical physics!

The language of physics is math and a physical theory should be falsifiable

Yes. "Try it". Boom, works every time.

Rants said:
Is there a concise, bullet proof argument that can cause an epiphany in the armchair pseudo-physicist? To make them realize "hey, you really do need evidence to accept something as factual."
The hard part is to get them to even consider the arguments you give them. There's no way to make them think.

What you would want them to understand is that the only way to learn anything about how the universe works is to come up with theories, i.e. sets of statements that make predictions about the results of experiments, and perform experiments to see how accurate the predictions are. The experiments are what allow us to distinguish between competing theories.

It's not enough to get them to understand that this is what scientists think, because they're still going to think "Science shmience. I don't need no stinking experiments, because I have experience". So they have to understand why what I just said is true, and it's impossible to get them to listen long enough.

They are also completely immune to the argument that if this really worked, someone would already have proved it using scientific methods. They'll just think "proof, shmoof" and completely ignore the fact that you have just given them an excellent reason to change their minds.

I suppose you could try to let them do most of the talking. Just ask why they believe that it works, and if they think other explanations are possible. That's not going to work either, but at least it will be a longer conversation.

By the way, I can recommend the forums over at randi.org. They are better than PF for this sort of question.

It's actually pretty hard to explain what theoretical physics is to intelligent and reasonable laymen, let alone crackpots who are not even willing to listen.

Fredrik's suggestion:

I suppose you could try to let them do most of the talking. Just ask why they believe that it works, and if they think other explanations are possible. That's not going to work either, but at least it will be a longer conversation.

Actually does work.

You can do that by playing along with their game like Sokal did and then demonstrate that you get a ridiculous result. When I was a student, I used to discuss with people about paranormal things, homeopathy, astrology etc. etc. I learned a lot from these discussions. I learned that the direct approach where you directly explain why according to science these things are not plausible does not work. Playing along is far more effective.

Instead of you doing the explaining, you should ask questions and for the most time just listen. So, if you talk to a believer in astrology, simply ask about if it would be possible to predict the place and date of birth based on someones life story (in which clues about the age are omitted). Then ask about how a horoscope of somepone born on Mars would be made, or someone who lives in intergalactic space.

I once met someone who actually thought it was valid to apply Newton's laws to stock prices, "because every action has an equal and opposite reaction." This was from a person who was interested in my programming services. When he told me this my jaw dropped and I realized there was no way I could work for this person.

russ_watters said:
You might try starting with this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_method

Is anyone else having problems with wikipedia loading? Seems like since yesterday, it takes forever for the pages to load. I do a lot of wikipedia'ing, so I hope it's not just me and it'll be fixed soon.

Thanks for all the comments.

Wiki works for me, but not yesterday

leroyjenkens said:
Is anyone else having problems with wikipedia loading? Seems like since yesterday, it takes forever for the pages to load. I do a lot of wikipedia'ing, so I hope it's not just me and it'll be fixed soon.

I noticed that on internet explorer 6, wikipedia pages sometimes do not load. If I use the opera web browser, then there is no problem at all.

1. How do I find a solid and concise way to express my idea?

The best way to find a solid and concise way to express your idea is by first identifying the main point or message you want to convey. Then, try to condense it into one sentence or phrase that captures the essence of your idea. You can also try brainstorming with a group or seeking feedback from others to refine your expression.

2. What is the importance of having a solid and concise way to communicate?

A solid and concise way of communicating is important because it allows for clear and efficient communication. It helps to avoid confusion and ensures that your message is understood by your audience. It also shows that you have a strong understanding of your idea and can articulate it effectively.

3. How can I make my expression more concise?

One way to make your expression more concise is by removing unnecessary words or phrases. You can also try using more specific and descriptive language to convey your message in a more efficient manner. Additionally, practicing and revising your expression can help you refine it to be more concise.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when trying to express an idea in a solid and concise way?

Some common mistakes to avoid when trying to express an idea in a solid and concise way include using too much technical jargon, being too vague, and not considering your audience's level of understanding. It is also important to avoid using filler words or repeating the same information in different ways.

5. Can you provide an example of a solid and concise way to express an idea?

Sure, for example, instead of saying "I'm looking for a way to improve my time management skills in order to increase productivity at work," a solid and concise way to express this idea could be "I want to enhance my time management skills for greater workplace efficiency." This conveys the same message in a more direct and succinct manner.