Deciding between 2 senior project areas - switching from EE to physics

In summary, a final year EE undergrad is considering switching to physics and is deciding between two senior project areas: one involving organic thin film transistors and the other involving subsurface scattering. Both projects will be computational/simulation oriented. The individual is seeking suggestions and advice on which topic to choose and mentions interests in solid state physics and particle/accelerator physics. They have also posted a thread on Physics Forums for further information about themselves.
maverick280857
Deciding between 2 senior project areas -- switching from EE to physics

Hi,

I'm a final year EE undergrad who has taken senior level physics courses on quantum mechanics, electrodynamics, relativity and quantum field theory (next semester). I'm considering a switch to physics, and I'm wondering whether I should work -- for my senior project -- on a project involving organic thin film transistors or one involving the study of subsurface scattering. I have an interest in both areas, although both are relatively new territories for me. Also, both projects will be computational/simulation oriented as there are few or no experimental facilities accessible immediately.

I need some suggestions/advice to help me decide between the two topics...perhaps someone here has faced similar situations or has worked in these areas and can offer some insight.

As for what field of physics I am looking at, I honestly do not know which one I have a greater shot at between solid state physics and particle/accelerator physics. But these are the 2 major fields I'll be looking at. And I'm pretty certain of my interests in physics. I had posted a thread about what I could do after my undergrad education, and that thread is https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=325158", if you want to know more about me.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hi, any inputs?

Dear student,

It is great to hear that you have a strong interest in both EE and physics. Both fields offer exciting opportunities for research and development. I would suggest that you carefully consider your long-term career goals and interests when making this decision. Which field do you see yourself working in for the long haul? Which field aligns more with your passions and strengths? Both organic thin film transistors and subsurface scattering are interesting topics, but perhaps one of them will lead you down a path that aligns more with your career goals.

In terms of choosing a specific area of physics, it is important to research and explore the different subfields to determine which one is the best fit for you. Consider talking to professors, attending seminars or conferences, and doing some independent research to get a better understanding of the different areas of physics and their potential applications. Additionally, you may want to consider the availability of job opportunities and research funding in each field.

Ultimately, the decision is yours to make and I would encourage you to carefully weigh your options before making a final decision. Whichever path you choose, I am sure your passion and dedication to the field will lead you to success. Good luck with your senior project and future endeavors in either EE or physics!

1. What factors should I consider when deciding between the two senior project areas?

When deciding between EE and physics for your senior project, you should consider your interests and strengths, the availability of resources and support in each area, and the potential career opportunities in each field after graduation.

2. How different are the senior project requirements for EE and physics?

The senior project requirements for EE and physics may vary depending on your institution, but in general, EE projects tend to focus on practical applications and design, while physics projects may involve more theoretical research and experimentation. It is important to consult with your advisor or department to understand the specific requirements for each area.

3. Can I switch from EE to physics (or vice versa) for my senior project if I have already completed coursework in one area?

Yes, it is possible to switch between EE and physics for your senior project, even if you have completed coursework in one area. However, you may need to take additional courses or do some self-study to catch up on any necessary background knowledge in the new area.

4. Are there any benefits to switching from EE to physics (or vice versa) for my senior project?

Switching from EE to physics (or vice versa) for your senior project can offer a unique learning experience and broaden your skill set. It can also open up new opportunities for graduate studies or careers in interdisciplinary fields.

5. How can I make an informed decision about which senior project area to choose?

To make an informed decision, you can talk to professors or current students in both EE and physics, attend departmental events or seminars, and do some research on potential projects and career paths in each area. It may also be helpful to consider your long-term goals and interests when making your decision.