Fall Semester 2009 of a MATH major

In summary, this woman is planning on taking 5 advanced math courses in one semester, and she is afraid of the workload.
Zero266
Hello everyone,

So there is only one month left between my glorious summer and the beginning of my fall semester, also the beginning of my intensive mathematics major. This fall I'm planning on taking a total of FIVE advanced math courses in the undergraduate school where I'm at. Besides from these, I will not be taking any other general requirement courses (since I completed about 90% of those anyway). So my fall course list is as follow:

Advanced Real Analysis (first sequence)
Abstract Algebra (first sequence)
Number Theory
Complex Analysis
Advanced Linear Algebra

Now, I have been preparing a little bit for real analysis, and I have seen some elementary abstract algebra results and theorems. I also have done some computational linear algebra and proof techniques. Nonetheless, I'm scared out of my mind! I LOVE math, and there are just so many courses I want to take that I know I won't be able to by the end of my undergraduate career. I will already be a junior this fall, so time is short and that's the reason for this crazy schedule. Do you guys think this schedule is crazy? Will I be able to retain some sanity and life outside of scribbling formulas and waking up in the middle of the night drench in sweat and screaming eureka! I'm optimistic, and I must say, very excited to learn what is awaiting. But I want to have a little fun too! I'm the type of guy who can get lost in numbers and will scramble for a pen and paper to experiment with random bursts of insights into a math problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
Wow, that's a pretty hefty courseload. Personally I never took analysis or algebra (I was a math major, but I knew I was going to grad school in physics so I didn't take any of the "real" math courses). However, the people I knew who did take these courses usually spent four to five hours every week on the homework. Complex analysis isn't that bad, it's actually pretty straight forward. And the advanced linear algebra, if it was anything like my applied linear algebra course, should be ridculously easy. Can't say anything about number theory.

Personally I'd have never taken such an aggressive courseload in undergrad. But I wouldn't say it's not doable. I guess you just need to assess your own mathematical ability and work ethic.

arunma said:
Wow, that's a pretty hefty courseload. ... However, the people I knew who did take these courses usually spent four to five hours every week on the homework.

If your numbers are right, then four hours per course on homework makes 20 hrs a week, add, what, three hours per week lectures per course makes a week of 35 hours. Is that a "hefty" week?

Zero266 said:
Hello everyone,

So there is only one month left between my glorious summer and the beginning of my fall semester, also the beginning of my intensive mathematics major. This fall I'm planning on taking a total of FIVE advanced math courses in the undergraduate school where I'm at. Besides from these, I will not be taking any other general requirement courses (since I completed about 90% of those anyway). So my fall course list is as follow:

Advanced Real Analysis (first sequence)
Abstract Algebra (first sequence)
Number Theory
Complex Analysis
Advanced Linear Algebra

Now, I have been preparing a little bit for real analysis, and I have seen some elementary abstract algebra results and theorems. I also have done some computational linear algebra and proof techniques. Nonetheless, I'm scared out of my mind! I LOVE math, and there are just so many courses I want to take that I know I won't be able to by the end of my undergraduate career. I will already be a junior this fall, so time is short and that's the reason for this crazy schedule. Do you guys think this schedule is crazy? Will I be able to retain some sanity and life outside of scribbling formulas and waking up in the middle of the night drench in sweat and screaming eureka! I'm optimistic, and I must say, very excited to learn what is awaiting. But I want to have a little fun too! I'm the type of guy who can get lost in numbers and will scramble for a pen and paper to experiment with random bursts of insights into a math problem.

I would caution against this workload. Not only will it be harder to get good grades, but your attention will be divided between so many classes that your understanding of the material will suffer as a consequence. There's a good reason why you only take three courses/semester in grad school. This could come back to haunt you when you take the Math GRE subject test. Additionally, your grades may suffer as a result. I'd recommend dropping one of those courses or postponing it until senior year. For example, if you know you want to study Algebra in grad school, take Real Analysis and Complex Analysis your senior year. Real Analysis alone (we used Baby Rudin) was 10-20/hours a week of homework.

That is insane. Especially since you are taking a lot of pure math courses requiring more than just calculation. I strongly suggest you do not do this. 3 math classes a semester is pushing it, but 5 is insane. I received my BS in math and I took 3 math classes a couple of times and I am telling you from first hand experience that it was TOUGH, not impossible, but borderline yes. Plus, your grades will suffer as well. You will not have a life and you will not enjoy them either. Why can't you do 3 at the most, maybe 2 applied and 1 pure, for the fall?

I would definitely try it. I had the same problem as you: there's so many courses I want to take, so just take a lot! Since you already know a bit real analysis and abstract algebra, they won't take as much time for you as they will for others. Your abstract algebra and LA courses may have similar theorems, which makes them easier to grasp. Complex Analysis shouldn't be too difficult if you have a decent real analysis background, so this may come a bit too early.

Good luck!

planethunter said:
Why can't you do 3 at the most, maybe 2 applied and 1 pure, for the fall?

Three courses a semester? 5 hours homework per course, as quoted above, is 15 hours plus, say, 3 hours of lectures per course and you're talking about 24 hours. Sounds like a nice workload!

cristo said:
Three courses a semester? 5 hours homework per course, as quoted above, is 15 hours plus, say, 3 hours of lectures per course and you're talking about 24 hours. Sounds like a nice workload!

If you're going to be taking a "real" Real Analysis course, not some watered down version, then you will most definitely be spending more than 5 hours per week on homework. With Rudin, I spent at least 10 hour/week, most of the time around 15. Same thing with Algebra. Closer to 10 hours/week. These numbers are obviously higher during test weeks, which is where you will overload yourself.

1. What courses did you take during the Fall Semester 2009 as a MATH major?

During the Fall Semester 2009, as a MATH major, I took courses such as Calculus, Linear Algebra, Number Theory, and Probability Theory.

2. How did you handle the workload of being a MATH major in Fall Semester 2009?

I managed my workload by creating a study schedule, attending lectures and tutorials regularly, and seeking help from professors and classmates when needed.

3. Were there any difficult concepts or topics in your Fall Semester 2009 courses as a MATH major?

Yes, there were some challenging topics such as abstract algebra and differential equations. However, with consistent effort and seeking help, I was able to understand and master these concepts.

4. Did you participate in any extracurricular activities related to mathematics during Fall Semester 2009?

Yes, I was part of the math club and participated in various math competitions and workshops. I also volunteered at math tutoring sessions for high school students.

5. How did your Fall Semester 2009 as a MATH major contribute to your overall academic and personal growth?

My Fall Semester 2009 as a MATH major helped me develop critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills. It also taught me time management, perseverance, and the importance of seeking help and collaborating with others. Overall, it greatly contributed to my academic and personal growth as a mathematician.