Guide for international students needed

In summary, the conversation discussed the speaker's interest in studying at a US university and the challenges they face due to their country's education system. They plan to obtain a Master's degree before applying to top US graduate courses and asked about admission requirements, the importance of Bachelor degree grades, and the difficulty for international students to get into good universities. Other than getting good grades and attending conferences, they also inquired about research experience and the possibility of being a teaching assistant. A resource for UK students applying to US graduate schools was mentioned, but the speaker expressed that it did not address all their concerns as UK students are able to go directly from Bachelor to graduate courses.
Rika
Hi everyone. I would like to ask questions since I am interested in studying at US university and previous threads and university website doesn't provide in-depth information. Since I can't go directly to graduate course with Bachelor degree because of admission criteria for my country (I am from EU where Bachelor degree course lasts 3 years while 4 years of study are required) I plan to obtain Master degree before. What are others admission requirements for top US graduate courses? Will my Bachelor course grades be taken into account or only Master course ones? Is getting into good university harder for international students? What should I do besides getting good grades and going to conferences? There is no other possibility to get any reaserch experience during bachelor course in my country than job practice course. Is that enough? Is getting TA possible and can I pay tuition fee and living with that or should I get a job?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
http://www.gla.ac.uk/philosophy/Undergraduate%20Resources/Honours/Postgrad_Applications/PGAppsUS.htm

The above was written for uk students thinking about applying to US graduate schools. It's for philosophy students, but it's mostly applicable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you. However it doesn't solve all my problems since for example ppl from UK can take graduate course directly after bachelor one.

What is the purpose of a guide for international students?

A guide for international students is a resource that provides information and support for students who are studying abroad. It helps them navigate the challenges of living in a new country and provides tips for academic success.

What topics should be covered in a guide for international students?

A comprehensive guide for international students should cover topics such as visa and immigration requirements, cultural norms and customs, housing options, academic expectations, and resources for mental and physical well-being.

Who can benefit from a guide for international students?

Any student studying abroad can benefit from a guide for international students. It can also be helpful for faculty and staff at universities who work with international students, as well as for parents or guardians of international students.

How can a guide for international students be accessed?

A guide for international students can be accessed online through a university's website, through student services offices, or through international student organizations. It may also be available in print form at orientation sessions or through international student advisors.

What are some tips for creating an effective guide for international students?

To create an effective guide for international students, it is important to include diverse perspectives and experiences, provide practical and relevant information, and use clear and concise language. It should also be regularly updated to reflect any changes in policies or resources.