Critical density of water - phase transitions

In summary, the critical density, d[c], is the density at the critical point where the liquid and gas coexistence curve terminate. At this point, the density is the same for both phases. The order parameter, d[fluid]-d[c], is used to describe the difference in density between the fluid and the critical density. The critical density is not a constant value and can be calculated using an equation of state. At the critical point, the pressure-density isotherms have a slope of zero and the second derivative of pressure with respect to density is also zero.
TheDestroyer
Hello people,

I'm studying now phase transitions. I saw that the order parameter of water gas-liquid transition is the d[g]-d[c] or d[l]-d[c].

where
d[g] is gas density
d[l] is liquid density
d[c] is the critical density

Can someone please elaborate more about the critical density?
what is it?
how can it be a factor between both transitions from liquid-gas and gas-liquid, I mean is it the same for both transitions?
if yes, then how can both become zero in the phase transition on each side of the critical temperature? and is there some theoretical way to calculate the critical density?

Thank you :)

Physics news on Phys.org
TheDestroyer said:
Hello people,

I'm studying now phase transitions. I saw that the order parameter of water gas-liquid transition is the d[g]-d[c] or d[l]-d[c].

where
d[g] is gas density
d[l] is liquid density
d[c] is the critical density

Can someone please elaborate more about the critical density?
what is it?
how can it be a factor between both transitions from liquid-gas and gas-liquid, I mean is it the same for both transitions?
if yes, then how can both become zero in the phase transition on each side of the critical temperature? and is there some theoretical way to calculate the critical density?

Thank you :)

I think this d[c] must refer to the density at the critical point (the point where the liquid/gas coexistence curve terminates). At this point there is no longer a difference between the liquid and the gas so that the density at this critical point is the same for both.

Thank you for your answer

But then how do we say that d[g]-d[c]=0 in liquid phase, and d[l]-d[c]=0 in gas phase? this means either that d[c] doesn't have a constant value for a certain liquid, or there is something else I can't find out. Because you have 2 equations for 1 variable (unknown), which is d[c]! does it make sense?

Am I thinking in a wrong way? please let me know :)

But then how do we say that d[g]-d[c]=0 in liquid phase, and d[l]-d[c]=0 in gas phase?
At the critical point d[g]=d[l].

The order parameter is actually d[fluid]-d[c], but the fluid can be a gas, a liquid, or a supercritical fluid depending on temperature and pressure.

The distinction "gas" or "liquid" is only meaningful below the critical temperature, where the fluid is "gas" on one side of the coexistence curve and "liquid" on the other side.

As for theoretical calculation, if you have an equation of state it can be calculated--but normally the parameters for the equation of state are calculated from critical temperature and pressure, rather than the other way around.

If you plot isotherms for a fluid, you will see this at the critical point:

[tex]{{\partial P}\over \partial d}=0[/tex]

[tex]{{\partial^{2} P}\over \partial d^{2}}=0[/tex]

Above the critical temperature the slope will never be zero, and below the critical point the slope will have a relative maximum and relative minimum, but the inflection point between them will not be horizontal.

Last edited:

1. What is the critical density of water?

The critical density of water refers to the point at which water transitions from a liquid to a gas, known as the critical point. It is the highest density at which water can exist in a liquid state.

2. How is the critical density of water determined?

The critical density of water is determined by measuring the density of water at different temperatures and pressures and determining the point at which the liquid and gas phases become indistinguishable.

3. What happens at the critical density of water?

At the critical density of water, both liquid and gas phases coexist in equilibrium, and the properties of water, such as density, viscosity, and heat capacity, change drastically. This is known as a phase transition.

4. Why is the critical density of water important?

The critical density of water is important in various scientific and industrial applications, such as in power plants and chemical production processes. It also plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of water in extreme environments, such as in the Earth's mantle and on other planets.

5. Can the critical density of water be altered?

The critical density of water is primarily determined by temperature and pressure. Therefore, it can be altered by changing these factors. For example, at higher pressures, the critical density of water increases, while at higher temperatures, it decreases. However, the critical density is a fundamental property of water and cannot be altered significantly without changing its molecular structure.