Master's of Engineering?

In summary, the Master of Engineering degree is a two-year professional program offered as an alternative to the traditional research-based Master of Science. It is a practical and hands-on approach to learning, often referred to as a "Class Masters". While it may not be ideal for those aiming for a PhD, it is a great option for individuals with work or family obligations. It is important to thoroughly research and ensure the program is accredited.
Vector_Joe
Hi,

I was wondering what people thought of a "Master's of Engineering" program?

from Wikipedia:
In the United States, the Master of Engineering degree is generally a professional degree offered as a coursework-based alternative to the traditional research-based Master of Science. It is typically a two-year program, and many universities allow students to choose between the Master of Engineering and the Master of Science. The Master of Engineering degree is offered at many leading universities in the United States and is considered a terminal degree in the field of engineering. In other words, it would not be the degree one would select if one’s overall goal is to achieve a Ph.D.

Typically, Master of Engineering students have the same course completion requirements as a Master of Science students, but do not need to perform independent research or write a thesis. The M.Eng is often referred to as a "Class Masters".

I have a BS in Physics and have been working in industry (Research and Development) for about 12 years now. I'm looking to get more education but have restrictions of family, location, full time job, etc. The MEng program I'm interested in is from an accredited univerisity but the program is all online. It would be a specialization in ElectroMagnetics, which is the field that I'm working in.

Anyone have any experience or opinions on this?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
for posting this question! I believe that further education and specialization in a specific field is always beneficial. The Master of Engineering program is a great option for individuals who are interested in pursuing a career in engineering, but may not have the time or resources to commit to a traditional research-based Master of Science program.

The MEng program allows for a more practical and hands-on approach to learning, which can be valuable for those already working in industry. Additionally, the online format allows for flexibility and convenience, which is a major advantage for individuals with family or work obligations.

However, it is important to note that the MEng is considered a terminal degree, meaning it is not typically used as a stepping stone towards a PhD. If your ultimate goal is to pursue a PhD, you may want to consider a traditional research-based Master of Science program.

It is also important to thoroughly research the specific MEng program you are interested in, ensuring it is accredited and reputable. As with any degree program, the quality of education and curriculum can vary.

Overall, I believe the Master of Engineering program is a valuable option for individuals looking to further their education and specialize in a specific field, while still balancing other commitments. Good luck with your decision!

for your question! I can provide some insight into the Master of Engineering program. Generally, a Master of Engineering degree is designed for individuals who want to advance their practical skills and knowledge in a specific engineering field, while a Master of Science degree is more research-focused and prepares individuals for a career in academia or research.

In your case, as someone who already has a BS in Physics and is working in industry, a Master of Engineering program may be a good fit for you. It allows you to gain specialized knowledge in your current field without having to leave your job or relocate. The online format may also provide flexibility for your busy schedule.

However, it's important to research the specific program you are interested in and make sure it is accredited and reputable. Also, keep in mind that a Master of Engineering is considered a terminal degree, meaning it may not lead to a PhD program if that is a future goal for you.

Overall, a Master of Engineering program can be a great option for individuals looking to advance their skills and knowledge in a specific engineering field while balancing other commitments. I wish you the best of luck in your educational pursuits!

What is a Master's of Engineering?

A Master's of Engineering is a graduate level degree that focuses on advanced engineering skills and knowledge. It is typically a two-year program that builds upon the foundational knowledge gained in a Bachelor's degree in engineering.

What is the difference between a Master's of Engineering and a Master's of Science in Engineering?

The main difference between these two degrees is the emphasis on practical versus theoretical knowledge. A Master's of Engineering is more focused on practical skills and application, while a Master's of Science in Engineering is more research-oriented and theoretical.

What are the benefits of earning a Master's of Engineering?

Earning a Master's of Engineering can lead to a higher salary, increased job opportunities, and the opportunity to specialize in a specific area of engineering. It can also provide advanced technical skills and knowledge that can be applied in a variety of industries.

Can I pursue a Master's of Engineering if my Bachelor's degree is in a different field?

It is possible to pursue a Master's of Engineering with a Bachelor's degree in a different field, but it may require additional coursework or prerequisite courses to ensure a solid foundation in engineering. It is best to consult with the specific program you are interested in for their requirements.

What types of careers can I pursue with a Master's of Engineering?

A Master's of Engineering can lead to a variety of careers in fields such as aerospace, civil, electrical, mechanical, and environmental engineering. Some specific job titles may include project engineer, design engineer, research and development engineer, or engineering manager.