Identifying wavelengths of sound waves

In summary, the question is about finding the frequency of a sound wave represented in a picture, with a speed of 340 m/s and a wavelength of 0.5 meters. The distance between points b and d is 0.5 meters, making the frequency of the sound wave 680 Hz.
DarylMBCP
Hey guys, I'm kinda having some problem with this question on finding the frequency of the sound wave of the picture provided. The speed the sound wave is traveling at is 340m/s. I know that in order to find the frequency, I hve to tke speed / wavelength. However, I'm not sure how to find the wavelength.

Btw, b, d, and f represent the centre line in the three lines representing the compression.

I've tried searching on identifying wavelengths, but wht I've found is that the wavelength should be 2m / 2 since line b should represent a point on the x-axis before the graph reaches a trough and goes back up to the x-axis, which should be represented by c, reaches a peak and finally reaches the x-axis again, which is represented by d.

Therefore, b to d should be one wavelength, which equals to 1m. It's quite confusing to explain it this way, but I hope you guys can get it. Thanks and any help is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• Sound wave.jpg
    Sound wave.jpg
    4.2 KB · Views: 410
Physics news on Phys.org
The wavelength of the sound wave in the picture is 0.5 meters, since the distance between points b and d is 0.5 meters. To find the frequency of the sound wave, you would then divide the speed (340 m/s) by the wavelength (0.5 m):Frequency = 340 m/s / 0.5 m = 680 Hz

Hi there,

It sounds like you are on the right track with your understanding of wavelength and frequency. To find the wavelength of a sound wave, you can use the formula wavelength = speed/frequency. In this case, you already have the speed of the sound wave (340m/s), so you just need to find the frequency.

To do this, you can use the information provided in the graph. As you mentioned, the distance between b and d represents one wavelength. This means that if you measure the distance between these two points on the graph, you should get a value of 1m. This distance is also known as the wavelength of the sound wave.

To find the frequency, you can use the formula frequency = 1/wavelength. In this case, the frequency would be 1/1m, which equals 1 Hz. This means that the sound wave is vibrating at a rate of 1 cycle per second.

I hope this helps clarify the process for finding the wavelength and frequency of a sound wave. If you have any further questions or need additional assistance, please let me know. Thank you for reaching out and seeking clarification on this topic. Keep up the good work!

1. What are sound waves and how are they produced?

Sound waves are a type of mechanical wave that are created by vibrations in a medium, such as air or water. These vibrations are typically caused by an object, such as a vocal cord or instrument, moving back and forth.

2. How does wavelength affect the pitch of a sound?

The wavelength of a sound wave directly affects its pitch. The shorter the wavelength, the higher the pitch, and the longer the wavelength, the lower the pitch. This is because shorter wavelengths correspond to higher frequencies, which our ears perceive as higher pitches.

3. How can we identify the wavelength of a sound wave?

The wavelength of a sound wave can be measured by finding the distance between two consecutive points of similar compression or rarefaction in the wave. This distance is equal to one full wavelength.

4. What is the relationship between wavelength and frequency in sound waves?

The frequency of a sound wave is inversely proportional to its wavelength. This means that as the frequency increases, the wavelength decreases, and vice versa.

5. How does the speed of sound affect the wavelength of a sound wave?

The speed of sound depends on the medium it is traveling through. In general, sound travels faster in denser mediums, such as solids, compared to less dense mediums, such as gases. The speed of sound affects the wavelength because it determines how far the wave can travel in a given amount of time, which in turn affects the distance between two consecutive points of similar compression or rarefaction.