Brillouin zones and energy bands

In summary, the semi-classical model explains that all electrons with the same k value are in the same energy band, but it doesn't explain why this is so. The model states that there are 2N states in each band, and for a single k-vector, there are infinitely many energy bands.
cavalier3024
In the semi-classical model, i noticed that all the electrons with values of k that are in the same brillouin zone are considered to be at the same energy band, but i can't quite understand why it is so.
i know that in each brillouin zone the number of allowed states (of k) is the same as the number of states at each band (N), but that doesn't really provide a full explanation.

so if you can briefly explain the idea behind this (or refer me to the relevant pages at Ashcroft) i would be thankful.

Physics news on Phys.org
There are 2N states in each band, and for a single k-vector, there are infinitely many energy bands (this can e.g. be seen when looking at the energy bands in the reduced zone scheme).

So when one energy band is filled, electrons start filling the next one, and so on. On what page in A&M have you read this?

you said that 'when one energy band is filled, electrons start filling the next one', but that's not always the case. sometimes bands overlap and one band may start filling before the previous one finished, giving two partially filled bands.
you can see what i mean at page 224 (chapter 12), figure 12.3. they show that 2N electrons fill part of the first brillouin zone and also part of the second BZ. then they say that this produces two partially filled bands. so what i understand is that all occupied states that are in the first brillouin zone are filling one band, and the ones at the second zone fill another band.
what i don't understand is why the brillouin zones determine the bands. why all the electrons that occupy a certain BZ are considered to be at the same band?

In the Nearly Free Electron model energy gaps appear due to bragg reflections with atoms in the Brillouin zone limit.

In a one dimensional model you have then an energy gap at K=+-pi/a, K=+-2pi/a etc... Biger k values give biger energy values. So those energy values in the first BZ are the less energetic values, the 1st band. The energy values in the second BZ correspond to the 2nd band etc...

But every k value in the second BZ can be taken to the first BZ by substracting a G vector from the reciprocal lattice, every vector in the third BZ can be taken to the 1st one by substracting 2 G vectors etc... So they are "the same" k vector and every k value has an energy value in each energy band.

I hope this messy explanation clears your ideas. I like more Kittel than Ashcroft (chapter 7)

What are Brillouin zones?

Brillouin zones are regions in the reciprocal space of a crystal that represent all possible wave vectors for electrons in the crystal lattice. They are used to describe the electronic structure of a crystal and determine its physical properties.

How are Brillouin zones related to energy bands?

In a crystal, electrons can only exist in certain energy levels, known as energy bands. These energy bands are a result of the periodic nature of the crystal lattice. Brillouin zones help visualize the energy bands and their corresponding wave vectors in reciprocal space.

What is the significance of Brillouin zones in materials science?

Brillouin zones play a crucial role in understanding the electronic properties of materials. They help predict the electrical conductivity, thermal conductivity, and optical properties of materials. They also provide insight into the behavior of electrons and the formation of energy bands in a crystal.

How are Brillouin zones experimentally determined?

Brillouin zones can be experimentally determined through techniques such as X-ray diffraction and electron diffraction. These techniques use the diffraction patterns produced by a crystal to determine the spacing and orientation of the crystal lattice, which can then be used to construct the Brillouin zones.

What is the relationship between Brillouin zones and the symmetry of a crystal?

The number and shape of Brillouin zones are determined by the symmetry of a crystal. Crystals with higher symmetry have fewer Brillouin zones, while those with lower symmetry have more Brillouin zones. The symmetry of a crystal also affects the shape and size of the Brillouin zones, which in turn affects the electronic properties of the crystal.