AWhat is 'as-cast' and what does it mean for cast products?

• Thread starter nb89
  • Start date
In summary, the term "as-cast" refers to a part directly out of the casting process without any additional machining operations. It is not typically used to describe heat treatment, but it may apply in certain situations. Surface finish requirements may also specify an "as-cast" surface, meaning no further processing has been done.
nb89
I keep coming across this term. Is it just referring to the alloy after it has gone through the casting process?

Engineering news on Phys.org
It just refers to the part as it is directly out of it's cast. No extra machining operations were done. I don't think it is normally used for the purpose of describing heat treat, but I could be wrong.

There are lots of situations where a part needs certain machining operations done to it after casting to bring it within tolerance or surface finish. However, if the part's tolerances are sufficiently loose, an "as cast" part may be delivered directly.

I am pretty sure its without heat treatment.

That part, or feature has been cast but not undergone machining, grinding, linishing, polishing, sanding...

I've never heard it used in relation to heat treatment (or a lack thereof) but I guess if you're working in the heat treatment field it would apply.

Virtuous said:
I am pretty sure its without heat treatment.

+1

i came across this term a few times where it meant that the material was not heat treated.

In my experience, 'as-cast' refers to a cast product without further processing, i.e. no mechanical and/or heat treatment.

I've seen surface finish requirements on cast products where the surface is referring to 'as-cast', i.e., no machining, grinding, linishing, polishing, sanding... as brewnog mentioned.

Astronuc said:
In my experience, 'as-cast' refers to a cast product without further processing, i.e. no mechanical and/or heat treatment.

I've seen surface finish requirements on cast products where the surface is referring to 'as-cast', i.e., no machining, grinding, linishing, polishing, sanding... as brewnog mentioned.

Mine too...

CS

1. What does 'as-cast' mean in the context of scientific research?

'As-cast' refers to the state of a material or substance as it is directly produced and solidified from its molten form during the casting process. It is the initial form of the material before any further processing or manipulation.

2. How does the 'as-cast' state affect the properties of a material?

The 'as-cast' state can significantly affect the properties of a material, as it is directly influenced by the cooling rate during the casting process. This can result in variations in the microstructure and mechanical properties of the material.

3. Can the 'as-cast' state be modified or improved?

Yes, the 'as-cast' state can be modified or improved through various post-processing techniques such as heat treatment, mechanical working, and surface treatments. These processes can alter the microstructure and properties of the material to meet specific requirements.

4. What industries commonly use 'as-cast' materials?

The 'as-cast' state is commonly used in industries such as automotive, aerospace, and construction, where complex and large components are produced through casting processes. It is also used in the production of metal alloys, plastics, and ceramics.

5. How is the 'as-cast' state evaluated in scientific research?

The 'as-cast' state is evaluated through various techniques such as microstructural analysis, mechanical testing, and surface characterization. These methods help to assess the properties and performance of the material in its original state and compare it to the desired properties.