Who is your favorite type of professor based on their lecturing style?

• Thread starter DrClapeyron
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation highlights the preferences for a professor with a strict classroom management style and one with a more informal and passionate teaching approach. The participants also discuss the importance of a consistent and authentic personality in a professor and how it can affect students' behavior and learning experience.
DrClapeyron
Which type of professor do you most enjoy considering their lecturing style?

I had a political science professor who had a reputation of being a total douche/Nazi but I absolutely enjoyed the way he ran the class. If you spoke out of turn: he kicked you out. If your cellphone went off: he kicked you out. If you asked to many questions or got hot headed: made fun of you or kicked you out. It was a stadium class, and he kept order and made a great environment for everyone to clearly hear and understand his lecture - which was pretty much the test.

Physics news on Phys.org
I like PPT slides with additional writing on the board. Not everything should be in the PPT slide. Also, I like encouragement to participate in discussion, and I like when a student shares an idea and it's not clear, and the professor clears it.

In general, I like a professor speaking with passion for the topic and writing/drawing on the board to make his point.

I assume the professor speaks clearly, even if he or she has an accent.

DrClapeyron said:
If you asked to many questions or got hot headed: made fun of you or kicked you out.

He kicked people out for asking questions? Wow. Great way to pacify students who actually care about the course.

My favorite teachers have been the ones i consider consistent. You know that what you get from them monday is what you are going to get every monday, and everyday for that.

Classroom management is one of the hardest things for any teacher to master. I feel that if a teacher's personality can come out during their lectures, then everyone benefits, since that teacher is in a position to explain a topic in a way that makes sense to them, which is more insightful than whatever the text might have.

But it seems as though not every teacher has been able to marry their classroom management to their true personalities(at least that is how I feel about it, as some teachers one on one are night and day to how they appear in front of a class)

However, personalities are what students conflict with. The students I have encountered who consider teacher's Nazi's and whatnot are also the students who have a hard time not having life catered to their every whim. They are the ones who feel entitled to things that they are not entitled too, namely teacher's who bend over backwards for them or are willing to be talked down to like the way many of those students have talked to every other person in authority in their lives.

My favorite professors are basically the polar opposite of the one you described. Cell phone's going off don't bother me. Mistakes happen, people forget to turn them on vibrate, or they could have an emergency. Either way, the worse that happens is that your attention is lost for a tenth of a second.

In these classes the course is often like an open discussion. If Professor John Smith is explaining something an Joe Doe doesn't understand, Joe can go "John? I don't understand what you mean by "a closed bounded interval"". Informality in class rooms has, for me, been very beneficial. Typically it's easier to ask questions, get help, and the professors tend to be more involved in ensuring everything is understandable.

EDIT: I also noticed that in classes that were more informal, the student population tended to be better behaved.

1. What qualities make a professor's lecturing style engaging and effective?

A professor's lecturing style is considered engaging and effective when they are able to clearly explain complex concepts, use visual aids and examples to enhance understanding, and actively engage students through interactive discussions and activities.

2. How important is a professor's enthusiasm and passion in their lecturing style?

A professor's enthusiasm and passion for their subject matter is a crucial aspect of their lecturing style. It helps to keep students engaged and interested in the material, and can also inspire students to have a deeper appreciation for the subject.

3. What are some common mistakes that professors make in their lecturing style?

Some common mistakes that professors make in their lecturing style include speaking too quickly, using jargon or technical language that students may not understand, and not providing enough opportunities for students to ask questions or participate in discussions.

4. How can a professor's lecturing style impact student learning and retention of information?

A professor's lecturing style can greatly impact student learning and retention of information. When a professor is able to effectively communicate and engage students, it can improve their understanding and ability to retain the material. On the other hand, a boring or ineffective lecturing style may lead to students being disengaged and not retaining the information as well.

5. Can a professor's lecturing style be adapted to different learning styles?

Yes, a professor's lecturing style can be adapted to different learning styles. They can use a variety of teaching methods, such as visual aids, group discussions, and hands-on activities, to accommodate different learning styles and ensure that all students are able to understand and engage with the material.