Creating a 4 bit full adder logic circuit

In summary, the individual is looking to build a 4-bit full adder logic circuit on a motherboard and is seeking advice on the necessary parts. It is suggested to use a combination of AND, OR, and NOT gates, NAND or NOR gates, a decoder and 4 OR gates, or multiplexers. However, it is also mentioned that an IC 74LS83 would suffice for a simple 4-bit adder. If the individual wants to explore the operation and build the adder themselves, they can reference Wikipedia for information on how to make a full adder and cascade four of them to create a 4-bit adder.
IdontGetIt!
Hello, i had a quick question, basically i am trying to build a 4 bit full adder logic circuit on a motherboard.
i been trying to research but i came up empty...i would like to know what are the exact parts that i need to successfully build this logic circuit?

thanks..

Physics news on Phys.org
You can build it using
1- Combination of AND,OR and NOT gates
2- NAND or NOR
2- Decoder and 4 OR gate
3- Multiplexers

Well, if you just need a 4-bit adder, an IC 74LS83 (an IC with one 4-bit adder in it) would suffice.

If you actually want to explore the operation of this adder and build one yourself, then you should look up how a full adder is made. Cascading four full adders would give you a 4-bit adder.

Wikipedia has a well good page on this - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Full_adder#Full_adder

1. What is a 4 bit full adder logic circuit?

A 4 bit full adder logic circuit is a digital circuit that performs the mathematical operation of addition on 4-bit binary numbers. It takes in two 4-bit binary numbers and produces a sum and a carry output.

2. How does a 4 bit full adder logic circuit work?

A 4 bit full adder logic circuit works by using a combination of logic gates, such as AND, OR, and XOR gates, to perform the addition operation on each bit of the two input numbers. The carry output from one bit is then used as an input for the next bit, allowing for the addition of larger numbers.

3. What are the components of a 4 bit full adder logic circuit?

The main components of a 4 bit full adder logic circuit include four 1-bit full adders, which perform the addition on each individual bit, and additional logic gates for carry propagation. It also requires inputs for the two 4-bit binary numbers and outputs for the sum and carry.

4. How is a 4 bit full adder logic circuit used in computer systems?

A 4 bit full adder logic circuit is a fundamental component of many computer systems, as it allows for the addition of binary numbers. It is often used in arithmetic logic units (ALUs), which are responsible for performing arithmetic and logical operations in processors.

5. Are there any limitations to a 4 bit full adder logic circuit?

While a 4 bit full adder logic circuit is a useful and essential component in digital systems, it does have limitations. It can only perform addition on 4-bit numbers, so larger numbers require additional cascading of full adders. It also does not account for overflow, which can occur when the result of the addition exceeds the maximum value that can be represented by 4 bits.