Integral calculations using Cauchy's Integral formula

In summary, The conversation is about solving a given integral using Cauchy integral formula. The attempt at a solution involves using the formula and simplifying the expression. However, a mistake is pointed out regarding dropping the constant (-1/2) and it is clarified by another person.
Susanne217

Homework Statement

Calculate the integral

Given [tex]\int_{C} \frac{e^z}{\pi i - 2z} dz = \int_{C} \frac{e^z}{z-\frac{\pi i}{2}} dz} [/tex]

using Cauchy integral formula.

Homework Equations

What I know

[tex]\frac{1}{2\pi i} \int_{C} \frac{f(z)}{z-\zeta} = 2\pi i f(\zeta)[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

This in my little girly mind amounts to

[tex]2\pi i f(\frac{\pi i}{2}) = \int_{C} \frac{e^z}{z-\frac{\pi}{2}i} dz \Rightarrow \int_{C} \frac{e^z}{z-\frac{\pi}{2}i} dz = 2 \pi \cdot (i) \cdot (i) = -2\pi[/tex]

But people who are wiser than me says to me "Susanne your result is wrong!". Could someone please point out my mistake?

thanks Susanne

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
e^z/(i*pi-2z) isn't equal to e^z/(z-i*pi/2). It's equal to (-1/2)*e^z/(z-i*pi/2). You can't just drop the (-1/2) constant.

Dick said:
e^z/(i*pi-2z) isn't equal to e^z/(z-i*pi/2). It's equal to (-1/2)*e^z/(z-i*pi/2). You can't just drop the (-1/2) constant.

Dick,

You are a genius my man. I simply couldn't see that :D

1. What is Cauchy's Integral formula?

Cauchy's Integral formula is a powerful tool in complex analysis that allows us to calculate the value of a function at any point inside a closed contour, given that the function is analytic inside and on the contour. It is also known as Cauchy's Integral theorem.

2. How is Cauchy's Integral formula used to calculate integrals?

To calculate integrals using Cauchy's Integral formula, we first need to identify the function that we want to integrate and the contour we want to integrate over. We then apply the formula, which involves taking the derivative of the function at each point inside the contour and multiplying it by the complex variable z, divided by 2πi. The result of this calculation is the value of the integral.

3. What are some applications of Cauchy's Integral formula?

Cauchy's Integral formula has many applications in mathematics and physics. It is used to calculate complex integrals, evaluate improper integrals, and solve differential equations. In physics, it is used to solve problems related to electric and magnetic fields, fluid dynamics, and quantum mechanics.

4. Can Cauchy's Integral formula be used for functions with singularities?

Yes, Cauchy's Integral formula can be used for functions with singularities, as long as the singularity is located outside the contour of integration. In such cases, we can deform the contour to avoid the singularity, and the integral can still be evaluated using the formula.

5. Are there any limitations to Cauchy's Integral formula?

Cauchy's Integral formula can only be applied to functions that are analytic, meaning they have a continuous derivative at each point in the domain. If a function has a singularity inside the contour of integration, the formula cannot be applied. Additionally, the contour of integration must be closed and simple, meaning it does not intersect itself.