Dirac equation in curvilinear coordinates

In summary, there is a need to transform both the coordinates and Dirac matrices when applying the Dirac equation to a change in coordinates in flat spacetime. This is supported by research papers such as Brill & Wheeler's 1957 review and Chamseddine's 2005 paper on the subject. The Dirac matrices must be adjusted in order to maintain the anticommutator relation and there is also a spinor connection that functions similarly to a covariant derivative.
paweld
I wonder how Dirac equation transform under change of coordinates (in flat spacetime).
Should I simply express partial derivaties of one coordinates in another or it is
necessary to transform Dirac matrices as well?

Physics news on Phys.org
There's a good review paper

Brill & Wheeler, Rev Mod Phys 29 (1957) 465

and many others subsequently, one off the top of my head is

Chamseddine, hep-th/0511074 (2005)

I'm a bit rusty on the details but I recall the Dirac matrices have to change so that the anticommutator relation
[tex]
\gamma^\mu \gamma^\nu + \gamma^\nu \gamma^\mu = 2 g^{\mu\nu}
[/tex]
remains true. There is some sort of spinor connection which is a spinor analog of the covariant derivative.

Dave

1. What is the Dirac equation in curvilinear coordinates?

The Dirac equation in curvilinear coordinates is a mathematical equation that describes the behavior of spin-1/2 particles (such as electrons) in curved space-time.

2. How does the Dirac equation differ from the Schrödinger equation?

The Dirac equation takes into account the effects of special relativity, while the Schrödinger equation does not. Additionally, the Dirac equation describes particles with intrinsic spin, while the Schrödinger equation does not.

3. What are the applications of the Dirac equation in curvilinear coordinates?

The Dirac equation in curvilinear coordinates has many applications in theoretical physics, including in quantum field theory, general relativity, and particle physics. It is also used in the study of black holes and other astrophysical phenomena.

4. What are the challenges in solving the Dirac equation in curvilinear coordinates?

One of the main challenges in solving the Dirac equation in curvilinear coordinates is the complexity of the mathematics involved. The equation is a system of partial differential equations, which can be difficult to solve analytically. Numerical methods are often used to approximate solutions.

5. Are there any experimental confirmations of the Dirac equation in curvilinear coordinates?

Yes, there have been several experimental confirmations of the Dirac equation in curvilinear coordinates. For example, the existence of antimatter was predicted by the Dirac equation, and has since been experimentally verified. Additionally, the Dirac equation has successfully predicted the behavior of particles in particle accelerators.