Srednicki CH26 Explained: Solving Eqn 26.7

• Thread starter LAHLH
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Srednicki
In summary, Srednicki gets to his equation by transforming into a d-dimensional polar coordinate, and then solving for the amplitude of the cross section.
LAHLH
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could explain how Srednicki gets to his eqn 26.7:

[tex] \tilde{dk_1}\tilde{dk_2} \sim (\omega^{d-3}_{1}d\omega_1) (\omega^{d-3}_{2}d\omega_2)(sin^{d-3}\theta d\theta) [/tex]

I thought this would be to do with transforming into some kind of d-dimensional polar coords so I start as:

[tex] \tilde{dk_1}\tilde{dk_2}=\frac{d^{d-1}k_1}{(2\pi)^{d-1}2\omega_{1}}\frac{d^{d-1}k_2}{(2\pi)^{d-1}2\omega_{2}}=\frac{\vec{k_1}^{d-2}d\vec{k_1}d\Omega_{d-2}\vec{k_2}^{d-2}d\vec{k_2}d\Omega_{d-2}}{(2\pi)^{d-1}2\omega_{1}(2\pi)^{d-1}2\omega_{2} } [/tex]

Now since he's working in the massless limit [tex] \omega_{1,2}=\vec{k}_{1,2} [/tex]

[tex] \tilde{dk_1}\tilde{dk_2}=\frac{\omega^{d-3}_{1}d\omega_{1}d\Omega_{d-2}\omega^{d-3}_{2}d\omega_{2}\Omega_{d-2}}{4(2\pi)^{d-1}(2\pi)^{d-1} } [/tex]

[tex] \tilde{dk_1}\tilde{dk_2}=(\omega^{d-3}_{1}d\omega_{1})(\omega^{d-3}_{2}d\omega_{2}) \frac{d\Omega_{d-2}d\Omega_{d-2}}{4(2\pi)^{d-1}(2\pi)^{d-1}} [/tex]

Which looks quite similar to what he has, but not there yet. I'm guessing that the solid angle must go something like

[tex] d\Omega_{d-2}=sin^{d-3}d\theta \times d\phi_{1}d\phi_{2}... [/tex]

Which probably cancels out a few [tex]\pi[/tex]'s but then why doesn't he have two lot's of the sin term?

Thanks for any help on this

Physics news on Phys.org
Some of my vectors should have modulus bars around them by the way, but I couldn't figure out the Latex command, hopefully it will be obvious from context anyway...

Spherical coordinates in N dimensions are treated in Hassani "Mathematical Physics" p 593. If you open it in Google books you can find the relevant page. It has the volume element etc.

Thanks, I can't seem to find the page you refer to, when I look at Hassani on google books I either seem to get his mathematica book or I get math methods but with not enough pages, could you possibly link me to the one you're looking at?

I found the volume on wiki anyway I believe under http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/N-sphere, suggesting to me if I'm in d-1 spatial dimensions:

[tex] d\Omega=sin^{d-3}\theta_{1}sin^{d-4}\theta_{2}...[/tex]

but given that I have two lots of [tex] d\Omega[/tex] I would still expect Srednicki to have his sine term squared? even if he's neglecting the lower power sines for whatever reason...

I can't link directly to the page in question. The problem with the preview is that you can only look at a limited number of pages before you get blocked. Of course you can delete your cookie and try again until you get to the right page !

Anyway it only contained the same info as the wiki page that you found. Hopefully you managed to sort out the problem now.

Incidentally, I assume in eq 26.7, the tilde just means "is proportional to" - there are other angles in the volume elements, but they can all be integrated out when computing cross sections. However, the amplitude T will depend upon the angle [itex]\theta[/itex] between the spatial momenta, so the only bits we're interested in are the 2 [itex]d\omega[/itex]s and [itex]d\theta[/itex]

Last edited:
Zwiebach's book on String Theory also has a thorough treatment on this subject in one of the first chapters.

1. What is the purpose of solving Eqn 26.7 in Srednicki CH26?

The purpose of solving Eqn 26.7 in Srednicki CH26 is to find the solution to a specific problem or equation related to quantum mechanics. This equation is often used in calculations involving the time-dependent Schrodinger equation.

2. Is solving Eqn 26.7 difficult?

Solving Eqn 26.7 can be challenging, especially for those who are not familiar with quantum mechanics and related equations. It requires a solid understanding of mathematical concepts and principles, as well as a thorough knowledge of quantum mechanics.

3. Are there any tips for solving Eqn 26.7 more efficiently?

One tip for solving Eqn 26.7 more efficiently is to break it down into smaller, more manageable steps. It can also be helpful to work through similar examples or practice problems to get a better understanding of the process. Additionally, seeking help from a tutor or studying with a group can also aid in solving the equation more efficiently.

4. Can Eqn 26.7 be applied to real-world situations?

Yes, Eqn 26.7 can be applied to real-world situations, particularly in the field of quantum mechanics. It is used in calculations involving the behavior of particles and systems in quantum systems, which has real-world applications in technology and scientific research.

5. Are there any resources available for further understanding of solving Eqn 26.7?

Yes, there are various online resources, textbooks, and study guides available for further understanding of solving Eqn 26.7. It is also helpful to consult with a professor or a tutor for additional guidance and clarification. Practicing similar problems and seeking out examples can also aid in understanding the concept better.