How is it that the sun affects our tides?

In summary, the sun also has an effect on our tides along with the moon. This is due to the tidal force created by the difference in gravitational pull on different parts of the Earth's surface, as well as the centrifugal force. This concept can be seen in tidal equations and is a general phenomenon in gravitational fields.
itsthemac
I've read that along with the moon, the sun also has an effect on our tides. I understand how the moon would have an effect on tides, but I don't quite get why the sun would.

According to my physics book, when something is in orbit, it's really just in free fall around the thing it's orbiting. Here's what confuses me: if the Earth is in orbit around the sun, then isn't the entire Earth already being acted on by the sun's gravity? And therefore the oceans wouldn't be affected differently in relation to the rest of the earth, since it's all falling together?

Think about if you were in an elevator on the top floor of a skyscraper and the cable snapped, sending you into free fall. On the inside of the elevator, since gravity is accelerating everything at the same rate, from your perspective nothing would accelerate towards the floor of the elevator unless acted on by a force different from the Earth's gravity. Objects would just seem weightless, and there would be no pull from gravity towards the floor, since in reality the floor would be accelerating along with everything inside. So why is it that when the Earth is in free fall around the sun, that the sun would have an additional pull on the Earth's oceans, if they too are in free fall along with our planet?

I'm guessing that it has something to do with the Earth being so large in diameter that different parts of it are being pulled on with noticeably more force by the sun's gravity than others (since they're closer)? This concept also confuses me as to what the implications of this are.

Hopefully I've articulated why I'm puzzled by this well enough that people who know why this is the way it is can at least understand how I could be confused. I appreciate any responses.

Physics news on Phys.org
itsthemac said:
I'm guessing that it has something to do with the Earth being so large in diameter that different parts of it are being pulled on with noticeably more force by the sun's gravity than others (since they're closer)? This concept also confuses me as to what the implications of this are.
I think your guess is right. But don't forget the "centrifugal bulge" on the side of the Earth facing away from the sun at any moment. Not taking into consideration the Earth's annual trip around the sun, it seems to me that there should be two "solar tides" every day. But they are dwarfed by the lunar tides.

Only a point-mass can be in total free-fall around another body. To say that any real object is in free-fall is merely an approximation.

The gravity depends on the distance. On the Sun-side it's a bit higher than at the Earth's center. On the opposite side, it's a bit weaker.

The centrifugal force balancing gravity out is a bit weaker on the Sun-side, and a bit stronger on the opposite side. As a result, the net force on the Sun-side is towards it, and on the opposite side away. The effect is stretching the planet.

This effect is called "Tidal Force". It's a very general phenomenon, not specific to tidal waves on Earth. Any time an object is in gravitational field, in addition to net effect on center of mass, there are tidal forces pulling on the object in radial direction, and squishing it in transverse direction.

itsthemac said:
I've read that along with the moon, the sun also has an effect on our tides. I understand how the moon would have an effect on tides, but I don't quite get why the sun would.

According to my physics book, when something is in orbit, it's really just in free fall around the thing it's orbiting. Here's what confuses me: if the Earth is in orbit around the sun, then isn't the entire Earth already being acted on by the sun's gravity? And therefore the oceans wouldn't be affected differently in relation to the rest of the earth, since it's all falling together?
Remember, in both cases, both objects are orbiting a common center of gravity...

...but this has nothing to do with tides...
Yes, that's what tides are. You can see it in the equation for tidal force.

GRDixon said:
I think your guess is right. But don't forget the "centrifugal bulge" on the side of the Earth facing away from the sun at any moment. Not taking into consideration the Earth's annual trip around the sun, it seems to me that there should be two "solar tides" every day. But they are dwarfed by the lunar tides.
The orbital motion and centrifugal force have nothing to do with tides. Tides are caused by one side of the Earth being closer to the other, resulting in a force pulling the Earth apart.

K^2 said:
This effect is called "Tidal Force". It's a very general phenomenon, not specific to tidal waves on Earth. Any time an object is in gravitational field, in addition to net effect on center of mass, there are tidal forces pulling on the object in radial direction, and squishing it in transverse direction.
Tidal force does not squeeze in the transverse direction - there may be a squishing force as a biproduct of the internal mechanics of an object, though.

1. How does the sun affect our tides?

The sun's gravitational pull affects the Earth's oceans, causing tides to rise and fall. This is because the sun's gravity is strong enough to pull on the Earth's oceans, creating a bulge in the water on the side of the Earth facing the sun.

2. Does the sun have a greater effect on tides than the moon?

No, the moon actually has a stronger influence on tides than the sun. This is because the moon is much closer to the Earth and has a stronger gravitational pull on the oceans.

3. What is the relationship between the sun's position and tides?

The position of the sun relative to the Earth and moon can affect the height and timing of tides. When the sun, Earth, and moon are aligned, the gravitational pull of the sun and moon combine, creating higher tides known as spring tides. When the sun and moon are at right angles to each other, the gravitational pull of the sun partially cancels out the moon's pull, resulting in lower tides known as neap tides.

4. Are tides affected by the sun's heat?

No, the sun's heat does not directly affect tides. However, the sun's heat does affect the Earth's atmosphere and weather patterns, which can indirectly impact tides.

5. Can the sun's activity affect tides?

Yes, the sun's activity, such as solar flares, can have a slight impact on tides. This is because these events can temporarily increase the amount of charged particles in the Earth's atmosphere, which can affect the Earth's magnetic field and potentially cause small changes in tides.