Oscillation with Two Springs (SMH)

In summary, the block oscillates at a frequency of 22.866 Hz when both springs are attached. The elastic force acting on the block is given by the sum of the individual spring constants, and can be found by considering the displacement of the block.
Dante Tufano
In the figure below, two springs are attached to a block that can oscillate over a floor. If the left spring is removed, the block oscillates at a frequency of 27 Hz. If, instead, the spring on the right is removed, the block oscillates at a frequency of 43 Hz. At what frequency does the block oscillate with both springs attached?

15-p-013.gif

So I know that f=(1/2pi)*sqrt(k/m)
k=((2*pi*f)^2)

Using these formulas, I solved for each coefficient of friction. Then, I used 1/k= 1/k1 +1/k2 to find the total k value. I plugged that into the frequency equation and got 22.866 Hz. However, webassign tells me that's wrong. Any ideas on where I screwed up? I only have one try left.

Physics news on Phys.org
Anybody? I'm completely stuck here..

The way you combine the spring constants is not right for this case.
It works if the two springs are connected to each other and then the mass is at the end of one of the springs.

Here is a different situation.
Think about what happens when the object is displaced by [tex]$ \Delta x $[/tex] (either to the left or to the right). What will be the total elastic force on the object? If you answer this question, you will know the "equivalent" elastic constant.

So.. would the force be F= -k1(x)-(-k2)x?

I'm not really sure how to approach the problem this way..

Nevermind, I figured it out! Thanks a lot for the help!

Dante Tufano said:
So.. would the force be F= -k1(x)-(-k2)x?

I'm not really sure how to approach the problem this way..

The elastic forces are in the same direction. The force is (k1+k2)x (or minus this if you consider the sign.

1. What is an oscillation with two springs?

An oscillation with two springs, also known as simple harmonic motion (SMH), is a type of periodic motion in which an object moves back and forth between two points due to the restoring force of two connected springs.

2. What factors affect the oscillation of two springs?

The oscillation of two springs is affected by the mass of the object, the spring constant of each spring, and the initial displacement or amplitude of the object.

3. How is the period of oscillation calculated for two springs?

The period of oscillation for two springs can be calculated using the formula T = 2π√(m/k), where T is the period, m is the mass of the object, and k is the combined spring constant of the two springs.

4. What is the relationship between the spring constant and the period of oscillation?

The higher the spring constant, the shorter the period of oscillation. This means that stiffer springs will cause faster oscillations, while more flexible springs will result in slower oscillations.

5. What is the difference between parallel and series oscillation for two springs?

In parallel oscillation, the two springs are connected side by side and the mass is attached to both springs. In series oscillation, the two springs are connected end to end and the mass is attached to one spring, with the other spring acting as a tension spring. The period of oscillation will be the same for both configurations if the combined spring constant is the same.