Engineering Disasters: Tacoma Washington Bridge & More

• Thread starter Endorser
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Engineering
In summary, the conversation discussed a student's request for help with their assignment on engineering disasters. Some examples mentioned were the Tacoma Washington Bridge Disaster, Hyatt Regency walkway collapse, Bhopal disaster, collapse of flats at Ronan Point, and the Boston Molasses Disaster. The student also mentioned their passion for engineering and requested more recent disasters within the last 70 years. Another member suggested the Ronan Point disaster, which occurred 90 years ago but was still considered an interesting read. The conversation ended with a request for more suggestions and a reminder to consider the clean up process in the aftermath of a disaster.
Endorser
Hello All,

As part of my studies I am asked to write a five thousand word report on a topic of interest. I have a passion for engineering and was wondering if PF could help me with my assignment.

I have chose to write it on 'Engineering Disasters' (on stuctures such as buildings, bridges, ect ect) and was wondering if you could help me list some recent (within 70 years) engineering disasters that occurred due to poor designing such as the Tacoma Washington Bridge Disaster.

All help is appreciated,

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks 2 you all, please keep them coming :)

1. What caused the Tacoma Washington Bridge to collapse?

The Tacoma Washington Bridge collapsed due to a phenomenon called "flutter," which occurs when strong winds create a twisting motion in the bridge's structure. This, combined with a design flaw that did not account for the effects of flutter, caused the bridge to vibrate uncontrollably and ultimately collapse.

2. Was the Tacoma Washington Bridge collapse preventable?

Yes, the collapse of the Tacoma Washington Bridge was preventable. After the collapse, engineers were able to identify the design flaw and implement changes to prevent flutter and ensure the safety of similar bridges in the future.

3. What other engineering disasters have occurred in recent history?

Some other notable engineering disasters include the Chernobyl nuclear power plant explosion, the Deepwater Horizon oil spill, and the collapse of the Hyatt Regency walkway in Kansas City. Each of these disasters had different causes, but all resulted in significant loss of life and environmental damage.

4. How can engineers prevent future disasters?

To prevent future disasters, engineers must thoroughly consider all potential risks and design structures that can withstand them. This includes conducting thorough tests and simulations, as well as regularly inspecting and maintaining existing structures to identify any potential issues before they become catastrophic.

5. What can we learn from engineering disasters?

Engineering disasters serve as important lessons for engineers, highlighting the importance of thorough risk assessment and the need for continuous improvement and innovation in design. These disasters also serve as a reminder of the potential consequences of cutting corners or overlooking potential risks in the pursuit of cost savings or efficiency.