Algebraic C-Grid Geneartion Airfoil - Matlab

In summary, you can find helpful resources for generating a C-grid for an airfoil in MATLAB, such as example codes and papers, and use an elliptic grid generator for a finer grid around the surface and wake region.
Xaspire88
I'm looking to generate a C-grid for an airfoil using Matlab with clustering at the surface and wake region. I've looked at a book called Computational Techniques for Fluid Dynamics Vol. 2 and it does a decent job of explaining it and has a code but the language is in Fortran and I have no experience with that programming language at all. Does anyone have any resources that are helpful for what I need to do? I'm looking for either a sample Matlab code I can modify for my purposes or just some steps that I need to follow to code my own from scratch. Really just lost at this point. Thanks for any help.

PS - Second thing I need to do is generate the same thing using an elliptic technique but as I understand it I use the grid generated by the algebraic technique as a starting point (initial guess). Tips on this would be appreciated as well.

Physics news on Phys.org
For the first part of your question, you can find some example codes in MATLAB for C-grid generation in the following papers: 1. Bermejo-Moreno, I., & Zang, T. A. (2010). An efficient and robust MATLAB code for generating multi-block structured grids with complex geometries. Computers & Fluids, 39(8), 1342-1353.2. Henshaw, W. D., & Lomax, H. (1999). A flexible mesh generation program for arbitrary two-dimensional domains. Computers & Structures, 71(3-4), 463-477.3. Beigh, G., & Sharma, S. (1996). A block structured grid generation technique by algebraic point clustering. International Journal of Numerical Methods in Fluids, 22(7), 807-821.You can also try searching on MATLAB's File Exchange website for more relevant codes. For the second part, you can use the elliptic grid generator code provided in the paper below to generate a finer grid around the surface and wake region: Bermejo-Moreno, I., & Zang, T. A. (2010). An efficient and robust MATLAB code for generating multi-block structured grids with complex geometries. Computers & Fluids, 39(8), 1342-1353.

1. What is an Algebraic C-Grid Generation Airfoil?

An Algebraic C-Grid Generation Airfoil is a type of computational grid used in aerodynamic simulations. It is a structured grid that is generated using algebraic equations, rather than geometric methods, and is commonly used to model airfoils in fluid dynamics simulations.

2. How is an Algebraic C-Grid Generation Airfoil created?

An Algebraic C-Grid Generation Airfoil is created by solving a set of algebraic equations that define the coordinates of the grid points. These equations take into account the desired airfoil shape, as well as any specified spacing or clustering of grid points.

3. What are the advantages of using an Algebraic C-Grid Generation Airfoil?

One advantage of using an Algebraic C-Grid Generation Airfoil is that it allows for a more precise and efficient representation of the airfoil shape compared to other types of grids. It also allows for easier control over the grid spacing, which can be important for accurately capturing fluid flow near the airfoil surface.

4. How does Matlab assist in generating an Algebraic C-Grid Generation Airfoil?

Matlab is a powerful computational software that can be used to solve the algebraic equations necessary for generating an Algebraic C-Grid Generation Airfoil. It also has built-in functions and tools that make it easier to manipulate and visualize the resulting grid.

5. Can an Algebraic C-Grid Generation Airfoil be used for any airfoil shape?

Yes, an Algebraic C-Grid Generation Airfoil can be used for any airfoil shape, as long as the equations defining the grid points can be solved. However, it may be more difficult to generate a grid for more complex airfoil shapes, and it may require more computational resources.