Creating Bode Plot: Problem Determining Break Off Frequencies

In summary, the conversation is about manually making a bode plot for a transfer function with three poles at 0 Hz, 1.67 Hz, and 10 Hz. The speaker is having trouble determining the break off frequencies, particularly for the pole at (1+jw0.6). They are advised to set the pole equal to zero and solve for jw to find the corner frequency.
JohnielWhite
I am trying to manually make a bode plot for the transfer function:

G(jw)= 5/[jw(1+jw0.6)(1+jw0.1)]

I know how to plot it but I am having a problem determining all the break off frequencies. In particular for the term pole at (1+jw0.6).

Could someone give me some insight as to how I am suppose to approach this? Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
JohnielWhite said:
I am trying to manually make a bode plot for the transfer function:

G(jw)= 5/[jw(1+jw0.6)(1+jw0.1)]

I know how to plot it but I am having a problem determining all the break off frequencies. In particular for the term pole at (1+jw0.6).

Could someone give me some insight as to how I am suppose to approach this? Thanks in advance.

You're going to have 3 poles, one at 0 Hz, another at 1.67 Hz and the last one at 10Hz.

For the poles in form of (1+jw0.6), you simply set them equal to zero and solve for jw. The negatives are ignored.

Hopefully that clears things up.

Ok so i would have a corner frequency at w=1.67 for (1+jw0.6). That's what I wanted to know. Thanks for your response. Much appreciated.

1. What is a Bode plot?

A Bode plot is a graphical representation of the frequency response of a system. It shows the magnitude and phase of the system's transfer function as a function of frequency.

2. How do I create a Bode plot?

To create a Bode plot, you will need to first obtain the transfer function of the system. This can be done through experimental measurements or mathematical analysis. Then, you can plot the magnitude and phase of the transfer function on a logarithmic scale using a software tool or by hand.

3. What is the purpose of determining break off frequencies in a Bode plot?

The break off frequencies in a Bode plot indicate the frequency at which the system's response starts to deviate from the ideal behavior. This information is useful for understanding the stability, bandwidth, and frequency response of a system.

4. How do I determine the break off frequencies in a Bode plot?

The break off frequencies can be determined by finding the intersection points of the straight-line approximations of the magnitude and phase plots. These intersection points represent the frequencies at which the system starts to deviate from its ideal behavior.

5. What are some common challenges when creating a Bode plot?

Some common challenges when creating a Bode plot include obtaining an accurate transfer function, dealing with noise or measurement errors, and selecting appropriate frequency ranges for the plot. It is also important to choose the correct scale for the plot to ensure that all relevant information is visible.