PhD Comics Movie: Update & Trailer

In summary: Since Rutgers is on the list, I'll be able to see it when it comes out.What if I don't go to one of these noob schools? :( I Wanna...
Math Jeans
In case you were wondering how that's coming along:

http://www.phdcomics.com/movie"

EDIT: The link has a trailer for the movie, by the way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
That's awesome! It looks like there're decent production values, but I hope it's not just a vignette of clips adapted from the comic strip.

It's Professor Smith!

I just found out that I wasn't supposed to spread the website until Thursday.

Well, it's now technically Thursday, so I suppose I can answer some questions about the movie.

It's a PhysicsForums exclusive! Right, Academia... You're first to publish! :biggrin:

Is there a movie poster / tagline / TV Guide blurb / runtime?

MATLABdude said:
It's a PhysicsForums exclusive! Right, Academia... You're first to publish! :biggrin:

Is there a movie poster / tagline / TV Guide blurb / runtime?

It won't be out for a while, and it isn't going to be on TV.

Runtime is as stated on the website: about that of a normal movie.

In reply to an earlier comment, it is not a series of short skits, it is a full length movie.

It is already Thursday 10:36 a.m.

But phdcomics is not working for me now (or is it just overloaded?). I know it worked less than 12 hours ago.

Borek said:

But phdcomics is not working for me now (or is it just overloaded?). I know it worked less than 12 hours ago.

Yeah, I can't connect to it either. It's not just you.

Borek said:

Obviously the announcement has crashed the servers.

I wonder how you can make a full length movie out of a comic like PhD comics. Will it just be 2 hours of grad students huddled up in the corner surrounded by their advisers yelling at them?

Pengwuino said:

I wonder how you can make a full length movie out of a comic like PhD comics. Will it just be 2 hours of grad students huddled up in the corner surrounded by their advisers yelling at them?

There's a bit of that, but the storyline (which follows the nameless grad student, Cecelia, and Mike, for the most part) focuses on each main character in a different way, in that you'll find the struggles of each one to be quite different in form, separating them more effectively into individual characters.

I think the trailer captures some of this, but since the site is down, you'll have to take my word on it for now.

Math Jeans said:
I think the trailer captures some of this, but since the site is down, you'll have to take my word on it for now.

No need, I watched it... a few times.

Ok mainly the last 10 seconds I kept watching

Pengwuino said:

Math Jeans said:
[...]I think the trailer captures some of this, but since the site is down, you'll have to take my word on it for now.

We totally crashed it! Okay, that and the fact that I posted a link on Facebook, somebody reposted, somebody tweeted, etc. etc. The vortex of unproductivity!

I'm really looking forward to it--wonder if the indie theater near my school can somehow run a showing or few? Once upon a time, my undergrad association made an EngWeek movie about how none of us EngPhys could get jobs under than as grad students. Despite it being tongue-in-cheek, hilarious, and with cameos by various faculty types, enrollment dropped the year after (or so I hear--though that may have been buzz put out by the exec types to fuel DVD sales).

EDIT: I assume we crashed it because it loaded really, really slowly right before I started to write the post, and just started loading properly again a few moments ago. That or somebody tried to DDOS Vimeo / PhDComics.

I was really shocked when I saw this trailer. I had no idea this project was happening!

It's really interesting. I hear the actors are students or amateur theater group members?

How are you affiliated with the project, Math Jeans?

G01 said:
I was really shocked when I saw this trailer. I had no idea this project was happening!

It's really interesting. I hear the actors are students or amateur theater group members?

How are you affiliated with the project, Math Jeans?

I'm an actor.

I'm listed as "The Barefoot Undergrad" on the website.

Since Rutgers is on the list, I'll be able to see it when it comes out.

What if I don't go to one of these noob schools? :( I Wanna see!

I want to see it too! :frown:

Now I have to travel to america to see that movie...

The movie might actually be posted on the website when it comes out.

I'm not 100% on this, though.

Pengwuino said:
What if I don't go to one of these noob schools? :( I Wanna see!

micromass said:
I want to see it too! :frown:

Now I have to travel to america to see that movie...

According to their website, if you can convince at least one or two organizations on campus to sponsor the event (wonder how much it is?) something can probably be worked out:
http://www.phdcomics.com/movie/screenings.html

Also, it looks like there's at least one Canadian university (Sherbrooke) and one Swedish one (KTH) already!

1. What is the "PhD Comics Movie: Update & Trailer" about?

The "PhD Comics Movie: Update & Trailer" is a documentary film that follows the lives of graduate students as they navigate the challenges of pursuing a PhD. It is based on the popular webcomic "Piled Higher and Deeper" by Jorge Cham.

2. Who is the director of the "PhD Comics Movie: Update & Trailer"?

The director of the "PhD Comics Movie: Update & Trailer" is filmmaker and animator Jorge Cham, who is also the creator of the original webcomic. He has a PhD in Mechanical Engineering from Stanford University.

3. When was the "PhD Comics Movie: Update & Trailer" released?

The "PhD Comics Movie: Update & Trailer" was released in 2011, with a limited release in select theaters and online streaming. It has since been screened at various universities and film festivals around the world.

4. Is the "PhD Comics Movie: Update & Trailer" a comedy?

Yes, the "PhD Comics Movie: Update & Trailer" is a comedy that humorously depicts the struggles and absurdities of graduate school life. It includes interviews with real graduate students and professors, as well as animated segments based on the original webcomic.

5. Can I watch the "PhD Comics Movie: Update & Trailer" online?

Yes, the "PhD Comics Movie: Update & Trailer" is available to rent or purchase on various online platforms, such as Amazon Prime Video and Google Play. It can also be streamed for free on the official "PhD Comics" website.