Small electric motor that can be plugged into a car power adapter

In summary, you can power a brush with an electric motor by plugging it into a car power adapter. There are many options available online and in stores.
wyllisx1
I am trying to find a small electric motor that be powered by plugging it into a car power adapter. I am trying to power a spinning shaft off of it that will need a fair amount of power. Meaning enough to spin a brush.

Engineering news on Phys.org
wyllisx1 said:
I am trying to find a small electric motor that be powered by plugging it into a car power adapter. I am trying to power a spinning shaft off of it that will need a fair amount of power. Meaning enough to spin a brush.

Welcome to the PF.

I did a Google Images search of DC 12V Motor, and got lots of hits. See if any of these are about the right size:

http://www.google.com/search?tbm=is...818&q=12v+dc+motor&gbv=2&aq=f&aqi=g1&aql=&oq=

Electronics/industrial surplus stores are my first choice for such things. Chances are you can find a place locally, but there are plenty online.
Here are some I use:
http://www.allelectronics.com/
http://www.goldmine-elec.com/
http://www.jameco.com/

Thank you. Are there any restrictions on how much power they can handle? Soory about the very simple questions...

I'm not sure what you mean by, "power they can handle". Every electric motor has maximum/design ratings for volts, amps, rpm, and power output (torque at the motor shaft). Find some motors from online sellers and look at the information. You'll get an idea of what is available.

Generally speaking, the larger the motor, the more power (volts and/or amps) it consumes and the more torque it can provide. There are exceptions, of course. Shaft speed (rpm) can be just about anything from a few hundred rpm to well over 10000 rpm. However, the shaft speed may be rated as "free", meaning that speed is measured with no load on the shaft. Attaching something to the shaft may dramatically lower the operating rpm.

There are also "gear motors" with built-in reduction gears*. They trade shaft speed for torque. A perfect example is a power window motor in your car door. The window doesn't need to move up and down very quickly, but it can be heavy, and there is limited space inside the door for a large motor.

* Gear-motors can also be built to increase shaft speed, but that is rare.

to determine how much power is available multiply the car voltage (almost certainly 12) by the power outlet fuse rating, the answer is in watts.

Thanks everyone.
I'm sure as I go along I'll be asking more questions.

1. How does a small electric motor that can be plugged into a car power adapter work?

A small electric motor that can be plugged into a car power adapter works by converting electrical energy into mechanical energy. It consists of a rotor, which is the rotating part, and a stator, which is the stationary part. When electricity from the car power adapter flows through the motor, it creates a magnetic field that interacts with the permanent magnets in the motor, causing the rotor to spin and generate mechanical energy. This mechanical energy can then be used to power various devices.

2. What is the purpose of a small electric motor in a car?

A small electric motor in a car serves a variety of purposes. It can be used to power small devices such as phone chargers, portable DVD players, or even small appliances like a mini fridge. It can also be used for tasks such as inflating tires, powering electric air pumps, or even driving small cooling fans.

3. How much power does a small electric motor that can be plugged into a car power adapter use?

The power consumption of a small electric motor that can be plugged into a car power adapter can vary depending on the motor's size and efficiency. However, on average, these motors use between 5-20 watts of power. This is significantly less than the power used by larger electric motors found in vehicles, which can range from hundreds to thousands of watts.

4. Can a small electric motor damage a car's battery?

No, a small electric motor that can be plugged into a car power adapter is designed to be used with the car's battery and will not damage it. These motors are typically low power and are designed to draw a minimal amount of current from the battery. However, it is always essential to check the motor's power requirements and make sure it is compatible with the car's battery before use.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when using a small electric motor in my car?

Yes, there are a few safety precautions to keep in mind when using a small electric motor in your car. First, make sure the motor is compatible with your car's power adapter and battery. Also, avoid overloading the motor as it can cause overheating and potential damage. Always unplug the motor when not in use and do not leave it plugged in for extended periods. Finally, make sure to follow the manufacturer's instructions and warnings for safe and proper use of the motor.