Ipv6 unique address for each person

• Thread starter Smarky
  • Start date
In summary, the differences between Ipv4 and Ipv6 are in their address sizes, with Ipv4 having a size of 32 bits and Ipv6 having a size of 128 bits. If we pick a random address from all 2^128 possibilities for each person on earth, assuming a population of 7 billion people, the probability of there being a collision (2 or more people with the same address) is 1/2^(256). This is based on the assumptions that every IP address has an equal chance of being selected and both trials are independent.
Smarky
I read about the differences between Ipv4 and Ipv6, regarding address size.
Ipv4 = address size of 32 bits
Ipv6 = address size of 128 bits

My question is:
If we pick a random address from all 2^128 possibilities for each person on earth, assuming population of 7 billion people, what is the probability of there being a collision (2 or more people with the same address).

How do you calculate such a thing?

Physics news on Phys.org
Smarky said:
I read about the differences between Ipv4 and Ipv6, regarding address size.
Ipv4 = address size of 32 bits
Ipv6 = address size of 128 bits

My question is:
If we pick a random address from all 2^128 possibilities for each person on earth, assuming population of 7 billion people, what is the probability of there being a collision (2 or more people with the same address).

How do you calculate such a thing?

Hey smarky and welcome to the forums.

I'm not exactly sure about your assumptions, but I'm going to assume that a) every IP address has an equally likely chance of being selected (normally this would be false due to the fact that IP addresses have inherent structure in them for specific locations and on top of that certain addresses are reserved for special uses) and b) Both trials are based on drawing an IP from a barrel with every choice of IP address.

If these assumptions are correct, we know that both draws from the barrel are independent and each choice is equally likely.

Based on this P(A has same address as B) = P(A has I.P. Z AND B as I.P. Z) = P(A has I.P. Z) x P(B has I.P. Z) = 1/(2^128) x 1/(2^128) = 1/2^(256)

The population of 7 billion doesn't come into play in this model because we assume that every single person has the same chance of picking any address, along with other assumptions like independent selections (like you would find with a binomial model).

This is a pretty simplified model, but it is a little hard trying to figure out the assumptions should be.

What is an IPv6 unique address?

An IPv6 unique address is a numerical label assigned to each device connected to a computer network that uses the Internet Protocol version 6 (IPv6) for communication. It serves as a unique identifier for a specific device, allowing it to communicate with other devices on the network.

Why do we need an IPv6 unique address for each person?

With the increasing number of devices connected to the internet, we are running out of IPv4 addresses. IPv6 addresses provide a much larger pool of unique addresses, allowing every person to have their own unique address, which is essential for efficient and secure communication on the internet.

How is an IPv6 unique address different from an IPv4 address?

An IPv6 unique address is longer than an IPv4 address and uses a different format. IPv6 addresses are 128 bits long, while IPv4 addresses are only 32 bits long. This means that IPv6 can support a significantly larger number of unique addresses compared to IPv4.

Can two people have the same IPv6 unique address?

No, it is highly unlikely for two people to have the same IPv6 unique address. With 128 bits, there are approximately 3.4×10^38 possible unique addresses in IPv6, making the chances of duplication extremely low.

How is an IPv6 unique address assigned to a person?

IPv6 unique addresses are assigned by Internet Service Providers (ISPs) or network administrators. They use a combination of a person's network location and device information to assign them a unique address. This ensures that each person has a unique address on the network.