Noninertial Frames of Reference Question

In summary, a 2 kg mass on a horizontal table is held in place by a string and a force of 6 N acts on it in the -y direction. When the truck accelerates in the +x direction, the string makes an angle of 20 degrees with respect to its initial orientation. To determine the acceleration of the truck, the observer in the truck uses the equation F_a = -m(a_o) and calculates a_o to be 0.35 m/s^2, but is unsure if this is correct. Further clarification is needed on the positions and forces involved in the problem.
scintillate10

Homework Statement

A mass of 2 kg lies on a horizontal table that is placed in the back of a truck. The mass is held in position by a string and a force of 6 N acts on it in the -y direction. The truck then accelerates in the +x direction. As a result, an observer in the truck sees that the string holding the mass on the table makes an angle of 20 degrees with respect to its initial orientation. What is the acceleration of the truck? Describe what the observer in the truck sees and how he might interpret his observations.

Homework Equations

http://physics-help.info/physicsguide/mechanics/noninertial_mechanics.shtml
I used this site as a guide

The Attempt at a Solution

I said m = 2 kg
F = mg sin theta - 6 N
and that is equal to 6.7 N
F_a = -m(a_o)

so then i did
m(a) = F + F_a
i got a_o = 0.35 m/s^2

but I'm not sure at all if that is right
could someone please explain this problem to me ? Thanks so much! ^.^

Physics news on Phys.org
Try to draw the figure according to the problem. I do not understand where is that string, and how does that force act.

ehild

1. What is a noninertial frame of reference?

A noninertial frame of reference is a coordinate system that is accelerating or rotating with respect to an inertial frame of reference. In this type of frame, Newton's laws of motion do not hold true.

2. How is a noninertial frame different from an inertial frame?

In an inertial frame of reference, an object remains at rest or moves at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. However, in a noninertial frame, objects appear to accelerate due to the motion of the frame itself.

3. What is the Coriolis effect and how does it relate to noninertial frames?

The Coriolis effect is the apparent deflection of moving objects on a rotating surface. This effect is observed in noninertial frames of reference, such as the Earth's surface, due to the rotation of the Earth.

4. How do noninertial frames affect the measurement of forces?

In noninertial frames, the apparent forces acting on objects are different from the actual forces. This is due to the fact that the frame itself is accelerating, causing objects to appear to accelerate even if no external force is acting on them.

5. Can noninertial frames be used in scientific experiments?

Yes, noninertial frames can be used in scientific experiments, but the effects of the frame's acceleration must be taken into account in order to accurately interpret the results. In some cases, it may be necessary to use an inertial frame of reference to eliminate the effects of acceleration on the measurements.