LED flashing unit. - how do I make one?

• Thread starter 1CheeseLouise
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Led Unit
In summary, you can use a flasher relay to control the flashing of your brake lights. You will need transistors, a few capacitors, and resistors.
1CheeseLouise
Here's my story: I bought a license plate frame for my motorcycle. It has 4 banks of LED lights. I want to wire it to my brake lights. That's the easy part. But, I want them to flash. Can I get them to flash in sequence? at 12v, it takes 0.1 to 0.2 amps to get full intensity. What parts do I need and a schematic drawing? Please help! My life depends on this! People want to drive into the back of me (they've done it before) Please don't refer my paranoia to the 'Psychiatric Forums'. I just want to be so annoying to the driver behind me that he doesn't forget I'm there and run into me like the last momzer did! I'm always finding myself behind annoying cars and their drivers. I think it's my turn.
Oh yeah. flashing maybe 1/4 to 1/2 second, random ok.
And my familiarity with electronics assembly? Well I last did this in 1990!

Engineering news on Phys.org
You should probably make sure it's legal first. There might be laws against mounting anything around a license plate that could obscure it or make it harder to read.

In a lot of states, flashing red or blue lights is a no-no (always flashing).
Flashing lights associated with your brake lights is generally legal/accepted though.

You can do this a few ways...one of the cheapest/easiest will be with a flasher relay.
They are bimetallic strips that heat when current passes through them and open as a result. When they cool down, they close and allow current to pass again (then repeat).
The flash rate is controlled by the amount of current that passes through the relay. For LED loads, an extra load resistor is usually added to maintain a normal flash rate.

If its legal, you will need transistors, few capacitors, and resistors.

Simplest you can go(as far as I know) is 2 transistors, 1 pnp, 1 npn, resistor and a capacitor.

http://www.josepino.com/light/transistor_led_flasher

One more thing you want to know, is that with capacitor you are controlling the rate of flashing. So bigger capacitor, you will get fewer flashes than the small ones. (time needed to discharge small capacitor is shorter, than the bigger one)

You go a bit far, and build astable multivibrator.

http://www.reprise.com/host/circuits/transistor_flasher.asp

1. What is an LED flashing unit?

An LED flashing unit is a circuit that controls the flashing of one or more LEDs. It typically consists of an LED, a power source, and a control mechanism that determines the frequency and duration of the flashing.

2. How does an LED flashing unit work?

An LED flashing unit works by sending pulses of electrical current through the LED at a specific rate to make it appear as if it is flashing. This is achieved by using a timing circuit, such as an oscillator, to control the on and off periods of the LED.

3. What are the components needed to make an LED flashing unit?

The main components needed to make an LED flashing unit include an LED, a resistor, a battery or power source, and a timing circuit, such as a 555 timer chip. Other components may be used depending on the specific design and functionality of the unit.

4. How do I make an LED flashing unit?

To make an LED flashing unit, you will need to follow a circuit diagram and assemble the components in the correct order. This typically involves soldering the components onto a circuit board and making connections between them using wires. There are also pre-made kits available that can be assembled without soldering.

5. Are there any safety considerations when making an LED flashing unit?

Yes, it is important to follow safety precautions when making an LED flashing unit. This includes working with the correct voltage and current, using appropriate protective gear, and ensuring that all connections are secure and free from any potential hazards.