Help with Physics Forum Editing: LaTeX & More

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter Math Amateur
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the availability of a document for editing on the Physics Forum sites using LaTeX. It is mentioned that a guide for LaTeX is currently being developed. There are also instructions for viewing the LaTeX source for equations and a link to a previous thread discussing the topic. The new LaTeX guide has been posted and the participants express their excitement and gratitude for its release.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
Is there any document giving help with editing on the Physics Forum sites. Presumably Latex editing is available using [TEX] and [/TEX]?

Physics news on Phys.org
Excellent news Greg

Such a document would be really helpful

Peter

In the meantime you can see the LaTeX source for any equation by clicking on it in a certain way. Under Mac OS with a one-button mouse, I control-click, then choose "Show Source" from the resulting popup menu. I don't know how this works under Windows with a "normal" mouse.

For windows, you can right click on the equations and select "Show Source" and you will get a window popped up showing the code for the equation. :smile:

As of now check https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=386951 . Note there is a nasty mistake at the very beginning of the pdf file - tex tags should be always closed with [/tеx].

Last edited by a moderator:
The new LaTeX guide has been posted. It's a sticky in the feedback forum. Link.

Awesome!

Thanks Fredrik, micromass, Redbelly98, and vela for putting this together. :smile:

1. What is LaTeX and why is it used in physics forums?

LaTeX is a typesetting language commonly used in the scientific community, including physics. It allows for the creation of high-quality equations and mathematical expressions, making it an ideal tool for discussing and explaining complex physics concepts on forums.

2. How do I use LaTeX in a physics forum?

To use LaTeX in a physics forum, you will need to enclose your equation or expression between dollar signs ($). For example, typing $E=mc^2$ will produce the equation E=mc^2. You can also use different LaTeX commands to format your equations and add symbols and special characters.

3. Can I use LaTeX in the body of my post or only in equations?

You can use LaTeX in both the body of your post and in equations. However, it is recommended to use it primarily in equations to avoid cluttering your post with unnecessary code.

4. Is there a limit to the length of equations I can use in a physics forum post?

Most physics forums have a character limit for posts, so it is best to keep your equations concise. However, if your equation is too long, you can break it into smaller parts and use the LaTeX command \frac{}{} to display it as a fraction.

5. Are there any other formatting tools or tips I should know about for editing in a physics forum?

Aside from LaTeX, some physics forums may also support HTML code for formatting. It is important to follow the specific guidelines and instructions of the forum you are using. Additionally, it is helpful to use proper formatting, such as using headings, lists, and paragraphs, to make your post easier to read and understand.