Apologize and Resolve Speculative Physics Debate: 65 Characters

• Thread starter Eric B
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the forum rules regarding speculative discussions and the concept of an inertial rest frame for light. One participant references a link from an MIT scientist and argues that the idea is an extension of standard principles, while the other participants argue that the concept is self-contradictory and not supported by mainstream science. The conversation ends with an apology for potentially breaking the forum rules.
Eric B
DaleSpam said:
Your belief is incorrect and self-contradictory, as many beliefs are.

Please stop speculating. It is contrary to the forum rules which you agreed to when you signed up.

If you believe that the concept of an inertial rest frame for light is scientifically well-founded then please provide a mainstream scientific reference supporting the idea.
Passionflower said:
It must be me but I cannot find anything related to physics in this topic. Anything with rest mass cannot travel at the speed of light. I do not see the point in speculating about what if it could, it can't, end of argument.
D H said:
As both atyy and DaleSpam already said, there is no Lorentz inertial frame at c. It is a meaningless and self-contradictory concept. Read the FAQ. The FAQ exists to forestall nonsense discussions.
I apologize, then. I guess I glossed over that part of the rules, and didn't realize that such discussions were basically not allowed. :blushing::redface:
Though I really did not know where the line between overly speculative was drawn.
The idea was an extension of standardly held principles, so I didn't think it was too speculatory. And I did reference a link provided that seemed to support the idea (and even acknowledged it was non-Lorentzian) and he was an MIT scientist. (Or is string theory not considered mainstream here? I'm not being facetious; I know that to some, it isn't; for they dismiss it so hard as to be, in their words; "not even wrong").
(And I don't see how it not off-topic, because it was about general relativity, which was the sub-forum it was placed under).

I still think the whole "self-contradictory" charge was being pontificated a bit too quickly (and used as the main opposition) without considering the other frame of reference, which balanced it out. It just didn't fit the current convention (As most theories don't in the beginning. Just saw an example of this on the new Briane Greene show last night), and that's was the real reason it is "wrong" according to the board rules.
So again; I'm terribly sorry if this was not a place to debate such ideas.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Did you want to ask a question or something?? Or did you just wanted to apologize??

Just to apologize. (And if this was the wrong sub-forum to do this, then I guess I did it again, and apologize again!):redface:

No worries - this forum is unusually tightly moderated and many people don't get that right away.

1. What is the "Apologize and Resolve Speculative Physics Debate: 65 Characters"?

The "Apologize and Resolve Speculative Physics Debate: 65 Characters" is a hypothetical scenario in which two scientists are debating a controversial topic in physics, and one of them apologizes for their earlier argument and proposes a resolution using only 65 characters.

2. Why is this scenario important?

This scenario is important because it highlights the importance of concise and precise communication in the scientific community. It also emphasizes the need for humility and open-mindedness when engaging in scientific debates.

3. What are some possible resolutions that could be proposed in this scenario?

Some possible resolutions could include new theories, modifications to existing theories, or alternative perspectives that could potentially reconcile the conflicting arguments.

4. What are the potential benefits of this exercise?

This exercise can help scientists practice effective communication skills, promote critical thinking and creativity, and foster collaboration and cooperation in the scientific community.

5. Can this scenario be applied to other fields of science?

Yes, this scenario can be applied to other fields of science, such as biology, chemistry, and psychology. The key is to focus on a specific topic that is controversial and requires concise and precise communication to resolve the debate.