Volumetric Flow Rate Calculation - Tank Drain & Pump Input | DE Forum Help

In summary: Good luck!In summary, the conversation revolves around a problem involving flow rate out of a tank with a uniform cross-sectional area. The problem is approached using volumetric flow and involves calculating the time taken for the fluid to reach a certain level in the tank. The issue lies in eliminating the tank's cross-sectional area when solving for time, which can be addressed by considering it as a function of time or using a numerical method. Consistent units should also be ensured during calculations.
ryancalif
I posted this in the DE forum as well since it is related.
---------------------

Hi all,

I've got a fairly straight forward problem to solve here regarding flow rate out of a tank with uniform cross-sectional area. I am treating this is a volumetric flow problem since there is assumed to be volume flow out of the tank, and volume flow into the tank.

I have two Qout terms (one out of a hole in the bottom of the tank, and one from fluid consumed by an engine), as well as one Qin term (via a pump feeding fluid into the tank at a constant rate).

Qouthole (Qh) = a*C*sqrt(2*g*z)
Qoutengine (Qe) = constant
Qin (Qi) = constant

NOTE: a = exit hole area
C = energy loss coefficient
g = gravity
z = head height in tank

My DE looks like:

-A*(dh/dt) = Qh - Qi + Qe

Separating the terms and solving for time by integrating h from Hi to Hf and t from 0 to T, I get this...

((a*C)/A)*sqrt(2*g)*(2/3)*((Hf^(3/2))-(Hi^(3/2))) = (1/A)q*t

I combined the Qi and Qe terms early on since they are constants (easier to integrate), therefore, q in the above equation equals Qi-Qf.

The problem is, solving for t eliminates the tank cross-sectional area (A) since it is divided out.

I feel confident with my general equation, but may have made a mistake somewhere in solving for t. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated! Thank you

Engineering news on Phys.org
!

Hi there,

I can see that you have approached this problem in a thorough and logical manner. Your equations and calculations seem to be correct, and I commend you for seeking help when you encountered a roadblock.

It seems that your issue lies in the elimination of the tank's cross-sectional area (A) when solving for time. This is a common problem in fluid dynamics, as the area is often a variable that can change over time. However, there are a few ways to approach this problem.

One solution would be to consider the cross-sectional area as a function of time (A(t)) and incorporate it into your equation. This way, you can solve for time without eliminating the variable. Another approach would be to use a numerical method, such as Euler's method, to approximate the solution for time.

I would also suggest checking your units and making sure they are consistent throughout your calculations. Sometimes, small unit errors can lead to larger discrepancies in the final result.

I hope this helps and good luck with your problem! Remember, as a scientist, it's important to stay persistent and keep seeking solutions until you find the right one.

1. What is volumetric flow rate?

Volumetric flow rate is the measurement of the volume of fluid or gas that passes through a given area per unit time. It is typically measured in cubic meters per second (m3/s) or liters per second (L/s).

2. How is volumetric flow rate calculated?

Volumetric flow rate is calculated by dividing the volume of fluid or gas that passes through a given area by the time it takes to pass through that area. The formula is Q = V/t, where Q is the volumetric flow rate, V is the volume, and t is the time.

3. What factors affect volumetric flow rate?

The factors that affect volumetric flow rate include the size and shape of the area through which the fluid or gas is flowing, the viscosity of the fluid or gas, and the pressure and temperature of the fluid or gas.

4. How is volumetric flow rate measured?

Volumetric flow rate is typically measured using a flow meter, which can be a device that measures the volume or mass of the fluid or gas passing through it. Other methods include using a stopwatch and measuring the volume and time manually.

5. Why is volumetric flow rate important in science?

Volumetric flow rate is important in science because it allows us to understand and quantify the flow of fluids and gases in various systems, such as in pipes, rivers, and blood vessels. It is also an important factor in many industrial processes, such as in chemical and petroleum engineering.