Electric Current as a function of time

In summary, the problem asked for the total charge passing a given point in a conductor from t = 0 to t = 1/240 s, given an electric current expression of I(t) = 100 sin (120*pi*t). The correct method for solving this problem is by performing a definite integral of the current expression, which results in a value of -0.265 for both limits. The reason for this is because at t = 0, cos(0) = 1, and at t = 1/240, cos(120*pi*t) = 0.
jmuduke

Homework Statement

8. An electric current in a conductor varies with time according to the expression
I(t) = 100 sin (120*pi*t), where I is in amperes and t is in seconds. What is the total charge passing a given point in the conductor from t = 0 to t = 1/240 s?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have attempted to substitute the values of t into the equation and use the difference, but I do not feel that was the correct way. Next, I attempted to perform a definite integral, but I get 0 for both numbers.

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi jmuduke! welcome to pf! :smile:
jmuduke said:
I(t) = 100 sin (120*pi*t), where I is in amperes and t is in seconds. What is the total charge passing a given point in the conductor from t = 0 to t = 1/240 s?

I attempted to perform a definite integral, but I get 0 for both numbers.

yes, I = dQ/dt, so Q = ∫ I dt

it's only over 90°, so you shouldn't get 0 for both limits :confused:

show us what you did :smile:

Thanks for the reply Tim!

I calculated the integral and got -(5 cos(120*pi*t))/6*pi

Originally, my calculator was set in radians, so that could have been why I got 0 for both limits. I changed it to degrees and got -0.265 for both limits then, but that result in the definite integral being 0, correct?

hi jmuduke! :smile:

(just got up :zzz:)
jmuduke said:
I calculated the integral and got -(5 cos(120*pi*t))/6*pi

… got -0.265 for both limits then, but that result in the definite integral being 0, correct?

yes, cos(0) = 1, so that's correct for the t = 0 limit :smile:

but for t = 1/240, cos(120πt) = cos(π/2) = cos90° = 0 :wink:

I would approach this problem by first understanding the physical concept behind the given expression. Electric current is the rate of flow of electric charge, and it is typically measured in amperes (A). In this case, the current varies with time according to a sinusoidal function, where the amplitude is 100 A and the frequency is 120*pi Hz.

To find the total charge passing through a given point in the conductor, we can use the definition of electric current as the rate of change of charge with respect to time: I = dQ/dt. Rearranging this equation, we get dQ = I*dt.

Using this relationship, we can integrate the given expression for I(t) from t = 0 to t = 1/240 s to find the total charge passing through the point in that time interval. This gives us:

Q = ∫I(t)dt = ∫100 sin(120*pi*t) dt = (-100/120*pi) cos(120*pi*t) from t = 0 to t = 1/240 s

Plugging in the values, we get Q = (-100/120*pi) cos(1/2) - (-100/120*pi) cos(0) = 0.0441 C

Therefore, the total charge passing through the given point in the conductor from t = 0 to t = 1/240 s is 0.0441 coulombs. This approach takes into account the changing current with time and gives a more accurate answer compared to simply using the difference in values.

What is electric current and how is it measured?

Electric current is the flow of electric charge through a conductor. It is measured in units of amperes (A) using a device called an ammeter.

How does electric current change over time?

Electric current can change over time due to various factors such as changes in voltage, resistance, or the number of charge carriers in the conductor. It can also change direction periodically in an alternating current (AC) circuit.

What is the relationship between electric current and time?

The relationship between electric current and time can be represented by a graph, where the x-axis represents time and the y-axis represents current. This graph can show how the current changes over time and can also help in analyzing the behavior of the circuit.

What are some applications of understanding electric current as a function of time?

Understanding how electric current changes over time is crucial in designing and analyzing electrical circuits. It is also important in fields such as electronics, power systems, and renewable energy. Additionally, studying the behavior of electric current over time can help in identifying and troubleshooting issues in a circuit.

How can electric current as a function of time be controlled?

Electric current can be controlled by changing the voltage or resistance in a circuit. It can also be controlled using devices such as switches, resistors, and capacitors. In some cases, the frequency of the current can also be controlled by using specialized components.