Determine the maximum tension in the pendulum rod

In summary, the conversation discusses the determination of maximum tension in a clock's pendulum rod with a 60 cm long and 500 g bob when it is swinging at a speed of 2.4 m/s. The relevant equations and attempts at solving the problem are also mentioned. The final answer is found by adding the force of gravity and the upward tension.
nesan

Homework Statement

A clock’s pendulum is 60 cm long with a bob at the end of mass 500 g. Determine the maximum tension in the pendulum rod when the bob is

b) swinging at a speed of 2.4 m/s

Homework Equations

v^2 / r = ac

The Attempt at a Solution

9.8m/s^2 = g

(2.4)^2 / 0.6 = 9.6m/s^2

9.8 * 0.5 = 4.9N

9.6 * 0.5 = 4.8N

Fnet = 4.9 - 4.8 = 0.1 N

What am I doing wrong? ._.

Thank you.

Okay guys I looked t it from another perspective and ended up wit the right answer.

I added the force of gravity and the tension going up.

But here's a small question. Why do we have to add them? Are they not cancelling each other out? Or is it because the pendulum is balanced ? o.o

So we add both tensions?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
hi nesan! :smile:
nesan said:
So we add both tensions?

i'm very worried by your last question :redface:

what did you think the two tensions were? :confused:

(the acceleration is upward

Ftotal = ma, so T - mg = ma, ie T = ma + mg)

tiny-tim said:
hi nesan! :smile:

i'm very worried by your last question :redface:

what did you think the two tensions were? :confused:

(the acceleration is upward

Ftotal = ma, so T - mg = ma, ie T = ma + mg)

Yup, I got that last night while in bed thinking. Haha xD

Thank you. :)<3

1. What is a pendulum rod?

A pendulum rod is a long, thin, and rigid object that is suspended from a fixed point and has a weight or mass attached to its end. It is used in pendulum experiments to study the effects of gravity and oscillation.

2. How is the maximum tension in a pendulum rod determined?

The maximum tension in a pendulum rod can be determined by analyzing the forces acting on the pendulum. These forces include the weight of the pendulum, the tension in the rod, and the force of gravity. By considering the properties of the pendulum, such as its length and mass, the maximum tension can be calculated using mathematical equations.

3. What factors affect the maximum tension in a pendulum rod?

The maximum tension in a pendulum rod is affected by several factors, including the length of the rod, the mass of the weight attached to the end of the rod, and the angle at which the pendulum is released. The strength and rigidity of the material used to make the rod also play a role in determining the maximum tension.

4. Why is it important to determine the maximum tension in a pendulum rod?

Determining the maximum tension in a pendulum rod is important because it can help scientists understand the behavior of the pendulum and its oscillation. It can also be used to calculate the period of the pendulum, which is the time it takes for the pendulum to complete one full swing. This information is valuable in various fields such as physics, engineering, and astronomy.

5. How can the maximum tension in a pendulum rod be measured?

The maximum tension in a pendulum rod can be measured using various methods such as using a force sensor, a spring scale, or a strain gauge. These instruments can measure the forces acting on the pendulum and provide a reading of the maximum tension. Alternatively, the maximum tension can also be calculated using mathematical equations if the properties of the pendulum are known.