Faraday's Law of Induction: Why is EMF Inversely Proportional to Time?

In summary, the conversation discusses an individual's coursework on Faraday's law of induction and their successful experiments confirming the law. They mention that the experiments produced straight line graphs showing that the induced EMF is proportional to the number of turns, magnetic field strength, and inversely proportional to time. The individual also explains the physics behind the first two results but struggles to justify why the EMF is inversely proportional to time. They consider the equation F = BIl = \frac{BQl}{t} but are unable to find a solution. They ask for help and are told that a changing magnetic field is necessary for an induced EMF to occur.
Em713
Hi, I am doing coursework on Faraday's law of induction. My assignment was to carry out experiments which confirm Faraday's law and also to explain the physics of how faraday's law works... My experiments all worked perfectly, producing straight line graphs showing that:
[itex]\epsilon\propto[/itex] N
[itex]\epsilon\propto[/itex] B
[itex]\epsilon\propto\frac{1}{t}[/itex]

I did not do any experiments to test [itex]\epsilon\propto[/itex]A ...

I have explained the physics behind the first two results, but for the life of me I can't justify WHY the EMF is inversely proportional to time... I have thought about F = BIl = [itex]\frac{BQl}{t}[/itex], therefore the force on the delocalised electrons is inversely proportional to time... But it's all dead ends after that...

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thank you in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org

Well if your EMF didn't vary with time, it would mean that your magnetic field would remain constant. Without it changing you cannot get an induced emf (well something has to change with time essentially).

What is Faraday's Law of Induction?

Faraday's Law of Induction states that the induced electromagnetic force (EMF) in a closed circuit is directly proportional to the rate of change of magnetic flux through the circuit.

How is EMF calculated in Faraday's Law of Induction?

EMF is calculated using the equation EMF = -N(dΦ/dt), where N is the number of turns in the coil and (dΦ/dt) is the rate of change of magnetic flux through the coil.

Why is EMF inversely proportional to time in Faraday's Law of Induction?

This is because the faster the magnetic flux changes, the greater the induced EMF will be. Therefore, as the time taken for the change in magnetic flux decreases, the induced EMF will increase.

What factors can affect the EMF in Faraday's Law of Induction?

The number of turns in the coil, the strength of the magnetic field, and the rate of change of magnetic flux are the main factors that can affect the induced EMF in Faraday's Law of Induction.

How is Faraday's Law of Induction used in everyday technology?

Faraday's Law of Induction is used in many everyday technologies such as generators, transformers, and electric motors. It is also the principle behind wireless charging and induction cooktops.