Electron accelerated through a potential difference of 26000

In summary, an electron is accelerated through a potential difference of 26000 V between plates P1 and P2, and then enters a magnetic field of uniform strength. The potential difference causes the electron to lose 26000V of electric potential, which in turn affects its electric potential energy and kinetic energy. This information can be used to calculate the velocity of the electron.
iancurtis

Homework Statement

An electron is accelerated from rest through a potential difference of 26000 V, which exists between plates P1 and P2, shown below. The electron then passes through a small opening into a magnetic field of uniform field strength, B. As indicated, the magnetic field is directed into the page.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried various ways of solving for velocity, but i always come to an equation where i am missing a variable. i tried finding the work so i could divide by the distance to get the force , but i was not given distance.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 1,139
Physics news on Phys.org
I had a very similar problem in my physics class, but it turns out there was just an equation that I was unaware of, namely U=qV where U is potential energy, q is a point charge, and V is the potential difference.

Well, when the electron is accelerated through two plates with a potential difference of 26000V, the electron has lost 26000V of electric potential. What does this tell you about the electric potential energy of the electron at the moment it exits the plates? In turn, what does that tell you about the kinetic energy of the electron at that point? That should get you on the right rack for finding the velocity.

Millacol88 said:
Well, when the electron is accelerated through two plates with a potential difference of 26000V, the electron has lost 26000V of electric potential. What does this tell you about the electric potential energy of the electron at the moment it exits the plates? In turn, what does that tell you about the kinetic energy of the electron at that point? That should get you on the right rack for finding the velocity.

thank you so much man, can't believe i didn't think of that. its so obvious now.

iancurtis said:
thank you so much man, can't believe i didn't think of that. its so obvious now.

No problem. :smile: If you need some help analyzing its motion, when it enters the magnetic field, just post again. :wink:

1. How is the potential difference of 26000 calculated in an electron acceleration experiment?

The potential difference, also known as voltage, is typically calculated by measuring the distance between the anode and cathode plates and multiplying it by the electric field strength. In this experiment, the potential difference of 26000 refers to the energy gained by the electron as it moves through the electric field.

2. What is the significance of accelerating an electron through a potential difference of 26000?

The acceleration of an electron through a potential difference of 26000 allows for the study of the electron's behavior in an electric field. This can provide insights into the properties and interactions of electrons, which are fundamental building blocks of matter.

3. How does the acceleration of an electron through a potential difference of 26000 affect its kinetic energy?

The electron's kinetic energy increases as it is accelerated through the potential difference. This is because the electron gains energy from the electric field, which is then converted into kinetic energy as it moves through the field.

4. What factors can affect the acceleration of an electron through a potential difference of 26000?

The acceleration of an electron can be affected by factors such as the magnitude of the potential difference, the electric field strength, and the charge and mass of the electron. Other external factors, such as temperature and humidity, may also play a role in the experiment.

5. How is the acceleration of an electron through a potential difference of 26000 used in practical applications?

The acceleration of electrons through a potential difference is used in a variety of practical applications, such as in cathode ray tubes for televisions and computer monitors, electron microscopes for imaging, and particle accelerators for scientific research. It is also a fundamental concept in understanding electricity and electronics.