Mass of Earth: Homework Solutions & Equations

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between Earth and the Sun, with a focus on their masses and densities. The solution for part a) involves using the formulas for gravitational force and centripetal acceleration to find the Sun's mass. For part b), the volume and density of the Sun are calculated using the formula for the volume of a sphere, but there is not enough information given to find the mass and density of the Earth. Additional resources would be needed to find this information.
nesan

Homework Statement

Earth is a satellite of the Sun with an orbit radius of approximately 1.5×1011 m.
a) What is the Sun’s mass?
b) If the Sun’s radius is 6.96×108 m, how does the Sun’s density compare with Earth’s density?

Homework Equations

v^2 / r = ac

GMm / r^2 = Fg

The Attempt at a Solution

For a) I know Fg has to = ac for the planet to orbit without crashing into it or moving away.

I set them equal to each other and simplified.

v^2 / r = GMm / r^2

Which simplified to

v^2 / G = M

I found the velocity of Earth using the v = d / t

d = the distance around one orbit
t = the number of seconds in 1 year

The using the expression

v^2 / G = M

I derived the sun's mass which was 2.0058 x 10^30

Part b)

I know Density = m / v

I have the mass of the sun

To find the volume I just used the formula for the volume of a sphere

which is = 4/3Pir^3

Volume of the sun was = 1.41 x 10^27

Since I have volume of the sun and the mass, I can also get the density

What's causing me trouble is finding the mass of the Earth.

I tried using this method.

ma = GMm / r^2

Where m = 1kg
a = 9.8m/s^2

But the problem was the radius of earth. Is there a way to finding the radius? I've tried everything I can possibly do. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. :)

Physics news on Phys.org
There's not enough information given in the question statement for you to find the density of the Earth. You'll have to refer to some resource that gives Earth's mass and radius.

gneill said:
There's not enough information given in the question statement for you to find the density of the Earth. You'll have to refer to some resource that gives Earth's mass and radius.

Thank you! I thought that might be the problem, but since I found an answer to a) without any outside source (except G which I knew), I thought I could solve this with my previous knowledge. Thank you. :)

What is the mass of Earth?

The mass of Earth is approximately 5.97 x 10^24 kilograms.

How is the mass of Earth calculated?

The mass of Earth can be calculated using Newton's law of universal gravitation, which states that the force of gravity between two objects is directly proportional to the product of their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. By measuring the gravitational force between Earth and other objects, scientists can determine Earth's mass.

What is the unit of measurement for Earth's mass?

The unit of measurement for Earth's mass is kilograms (kg).

What is the difference between mass and weight?

Mass and weight are often used interchangeably, but they are actually two different concepts. Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object, while weight is a measure of the force of gravity acting on an object. Mass is constant, but weight can vary depending on the strength of gravity. On Earth, objects have a greater weight due to the strong gravitational pull compared to other planets with weaker gravity.

How does the mass of Earth affect its orbit around the sun?

The mass of Earth affects its orbit around the sun through the force of gravity. The sun's gravitational pull keeps Earth in its orbit, and the mass of Earth determines the strength of this pull. A more massive Earth would require a greater force to keep it in orbit, while a less massive Earth would require a weaker force. Additionally, the mass of Earth affects the distance and speed at which it orbits the sun, as determined by Kepler's laws of planetary motion.