Solving LC Circuits: Time Interval Between Max Current & Voltage

In summary, the time interval between a maximum current through the inductor and a maximum potential difference in the capacitor is 4 pi//2 phase intervals.
mm2424

Homework Statement

The total energy stored in an LC circuit is 2J. The inductance is 10^-2 H and the capacitance is 100 μF. What is the time interval between a maximum current through the inductor and a maximum potential difference in the capacitor?

Homework Equations

T = 2∏/ω
ω = √(1/LC)

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand how the two above equations can be used to find T. However, in the answer key I have, it requires you to take the T you get and divide by 4 to find the time. I don't understand where this step comes in.

Also, is it possible to solve this question using the equation that tells us the charge on a capacitor (q = QV - e^(-t/RC)). I initially tried setting this up to find t when q = 0 and t when q = Q. However, is this not possible because we do know know and cannot find R? Or is there some other reason why using this equation won't work? Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

It is a resonant LC circuit,without resistance. A similar equation you wrote (q = QV - e^(t/RC), which is not correct at all) would hold for a capacitor and resistor.
The current in the LC circuit changes with time as Imax sin (ωt), the voltage is U=±Umax cos(ωt) across any of the inductor and capacitor. The power stored in a capacitor is 1/2 CU2, the same in the inductor is 1/2 L I2. Plot U2 and I2 vs time. How many times during a period you get a maximum of either U2 or I2?

ehild

Last edited:

Oh, I see, thanks. Can you explain why we have to divide by 4 as the final step?

I edited my previous post, read it.

ehild

Sorry, but this particular subject material is largely over my head. I can't really follow what you suggest I do. Is there another way to look at it? Alternatively, is it always true that one period includes 4 cycles, such that you always divide the period by 4 to find the time it takes to go from greatest charge on the capacitor to largest current? Sorry if I'm being annoying!

Why don't you plot U(t) and I(t)? When the current is maximum, the potential difference is zero, as U=LdI/dt. It will be maximum after pi//2 phase difference.

ehild

Attachments

• UI.jpg
    UI.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 573

1. What is an LC circuit?

An LC circuit is an electrical circuit that consists of an inductor (L) and a capacitor (C) connected in series or parallel. This type of circuit is commonly used in electronic devices such as radios and televisions.

2. How do you solve for the time interval between maximum current and voltage in an LC circuit?

The time interval between maximum current and voltage in an LC circuit can be solved by using the formula T = 2π√(LC), where T is the time interval, L is the inductance in henries, and C is the capacitance in farads. This formula is derived from the natural frequency of the circuit.

3. What is the significance of the time interval between maximum current and voltage in an LC circuit?

The time interval between maximum current and voltage in an LC circuit is important because it determines the oscillation frequency of the circuit. This frequency is used in various applications, such as tuning circuits and creating stable oscillations in electronic devices.

4. How does the value of inductance and capacitance affect the time interval in an LC circuit?

The time interval in an LC circuit is directly proportional to the square root of the product of inductance and capacitance. This means that as the values of inductance and capacitance increase, the time interval also increases, and vice versa.

5. Can the time interval between maximum current and voltage be adjusted in an LC circuit?

Yes, the time interval between maximum current and voltage in an LC circuit can be adjusted by changing the values of inductance and capacitance. This can be done by adding or removing inductors or capacitors, or by using variable components such as variable capacitors to change the capacitance value.