Image formation with a convex mirror

In summary, a convex mirror forms a virtual image by reflecting light rays off its curved surface, creating a smaller and upright image compared to the object. A real image can be projected onto a screen and is formed when light rays converge, while a virtual image cannot be projected and is formed when light rays appear to diverge. The size of the image formed in a convex mirror is always smaller than the object, and the exact size depends on the distance of the object from the mirror and the curvature of the mirror's surface. A convex mirror cannot produce a magnified image due to the diverging nature of the reflected light rays. The location of the image formed by a convex mirror is determined by the intersection of the extended reflected light rays, located
monke

Homework Statement

An object 2.00cm high is placed 12.0cm in front of a convex mirror with radius of curvature of 8.00cm.

Homework Equations

Where is the image formed? Draw a ray diagram

The Attempt at a Solution

do i use the equation m=-q/p? if so then (object distance)p= 12cm. how do i find q using the information given?

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
actually i may have gotten it. if i find f using f=(1/2)R the pulg into the mirror equation
1/p+ 1/q = 1/f and solve i have the answer?

1. How does a convex mirror form an image?

A convex mirror forms an image by reflecting light rays off its curved surface. The light rays diverge or spread out after reflecting off the mirror, creating a virtual image that appears smaller and upright compared to the object.

2. What is the difference between a real image and a virtual image?

A real image can be projected onto a screen and is formed when light rays actually converge at a point, while a virtual image cannot be projected and is formed when light rays appear to diverge from a point. In the case of a convex mirror, the image formed is always virtual.

3. How is the size of the image related to the object's size in a convex mirror?

In a convex mirror, the image is always smaller than the object. The exact size of the image depends on the distance of the object from the mirror and the curvature of the mirror's surface. As the object moves closer to the mirror, the image becomes larger, and as the object moves farther away, the image becomes smaller.

4. Can a convex mirror produce a magnified image?

No, a convex mirror cannot produce a magnified image. The image formed by a convex mirror is always smaller than the object, regardless of the object's distance from the mirror. This is due to the diverging nature of the reflected light rays.

5. How is the location of the image determined in a convex mirror?

The location of the image formed by a convex mirror is determined by the intersection of the extended reflected light rays. This point of intersection is located behind the mirror, along the same line of sight as the object, and is referred to as the virtual image point.