Complex analysis: determine whether a family of functions is a normal family

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of a normal family of analytic functions and its application to a set of functions that map the open unit disc into a specific set, given the condition that the functions are bounded and have a certain property at the origin. The conversation also considers various theorems and approaches to determining whether this family is normal. However, there is uncertainty and confusion regarding the specifics of the problem and how to approach it.
diligence

Homework Statement

Let [itex]F[/itex] be the set of all analytic functions [itex]f[/itex] that map the open unit disc [itex]D(0,1)[/itex] into the set [itex]U = \left\{w=u+iv : -2 < u < 2 \right\}[/itex] such that [itex]f(0)=0[/itex]. Determine whether or not [itex]F[/itex] is a normal family.

Homework Equations

[itex]DEF'N:[/itex] A normal family on a domain (i.e. open and connected) [itex]U\subset ℂ [/itex] is a family of analytic functions such that every sequence in the family has a subsequence that converges uniformly on compact subsets of [itex]U[/itex].

[itex]THEOREM[/itex](Montel's):
Version 1: A family of analytic functions that is bounded on compact subsets of a domain contains a sequence that converges uniformly on compact subsets (bounded on compact subsets means that for each compact subset there is some positive bound that holds for every function in the family. The constant can depend on the subset but NOT on the function or the point z).

Version 2: If every function in the family is bounded by the same positive constant on the domain then there exists a sequence in the family that converges uniformly on compact subsets.

The Attempt at a Solution

My first thought was to simplify by considering only functions from [itex]D \rightarrow D [/itex]. Schwarz lemma says that since [itex]f(0)=0[/itex] and [itex]|f(z)|\leq 1 [/itex] then [itex]|f(z)| \leq |z| [/itex]. Hence we can apply the above theorem since we have a bound over the domain and conclude that this "subfamily" is normal. Too bad the real problem isn't this easy! I'm having a tough time figuring this out for the family [itex]F[/itex]. First of all, it only states that the functions are into [itex]U[/itex]. So the mapping can be ANY one-to-one map into ANY subset of [itex]U[/itex]. I've also thought about using maximum modulus principle, but this only gives me bounds on each particular function, rather than the whole family.

Any clues would be greatly appreciated! (EDIT: not even sure if my above statements are entirely correct since I'm pretty confused at this exact moment)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Can i just use compactness and be done? (EDIT no i think that's wrong)

Last edited:

1. What is a normal family of functions?

A normal family of functions is a collection of functions that is relatively compact in the sense that every sequence in the family has a subsequence that converges uniformly on compact subsets of the complex plane. In simpler terms, a normal family is a collection of functions that behaves nicely and has no "weird" or "pathological" behavior.

2. How do you determine if a family of functions is normal?

To determine if a family of functions is normal, you can use the Montel's theorem, which states that a family of functions is normal if and only if it is locally bounded and equicontinuous. This means that the functions in the family must not grow too quickly and must be continuously varying.

3. What is the significance of a family of normal functions?

A family of normal functions is significant because it allows for the use of powerful theorems and techniques in complex analysis. These families are well-behaved and have properties that make them easier to analyze and work with. Additionally, normal families are often used in proofs for more advanced theorems in complex analysis.

4. Can a family of functions be both normal and non-normal?

No, a family of functions cannot be both normal and non-normal at the same time. This is because a normal family has specific criteria that it must meet, and if it fails to meet one or more of these criteria, it cannot be considered normal. However, a family of functions may appear to be normal in certain regions but non-normal in others.

5. What are some examples of normal and non-normal families of functions?

Examples of normal families of functions include polynomials, trigonometric functions, and rational functions. Non-normal families of functions include functions with essential singularities, such as the function e1/z, or functions with infinite critical points, such as the function sin(1/z).