Find load weight of the truck

In summary: WL.In summary, the conversation is discussing a question about determining the load weight for which the normal forces under the front and rear wheels of a pickup truck are equal. The conversation includes equations and calculations to find the correct answer, and the expert summarizer was able to identify and correct a mistake made during the process. The final correct answer for the load weight is 415.789 lb.
Northbysouth

Homework Statement

The indicated location of the center of gravity of the 3160-lb pickup truck is for the unladen condition. If a load whose center of gravity is x = 21 in. behind the rear axle is added to the truck, determine the load weight WL for which the normal forces under the front and rear wheels are equal.

I have attached an image of the question.

Homework Equations

ƩM = 0
ƩF = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

Firstly, I found the moment about point B.

ƩMB = -N(110 in) + (3600 lb)(65 in) - (WL)(21 in)

Then I found the forces acting in the y-direction:

ƩFy = N + N -3600lb -WL

I then solved this equaiton (force equation) for N, giving me:

2N = 3600lb + WL
N = 1800lb + WL/2

I then plugged the value of N into the moment equation

ƩMB = -(1800lb + WL/2) + (3600lb)(65 in) - (WL)(21 in)

Solving for WL:

0 = -198000 lbft - 55 WL + 234000 lbft - 21WL
76WL = 36000 lbft

WL = 473.684 lb

But it says my answer is wrong. Even more annoying is that this online homework has an example question that is identical except for the numbers, and I ran through that doing the same calculations (with the numbers altered appropriately) and I got the same answer that they did.

Any suggestions or helpful hints would be appreciated. Thanks

Attachments

• Truck load weight.png
    Truck load weight.png
    19 KB · Views: 2,505
Physics news on Phys.org
I went over my calculations and found my mistake. I confused the force of the truck (3160lb) with the example question they gave me in which the truck had a force of 3600lb. Thus my calculations are as follows:

ƩMB = 0
0 = -N(110 in) + (310lb)(65 in) - WL(21 in)

ƩFy = 0
ƩFy = N + N - 3160lb - WL
2N = 3160lb + WL
N = 1580lb + WL/2

ƩMB = -(1580lb + WL/2)(110 in) + 205400lb - 21WL
= -173800lb in - 55WL = 205400 lb in - 21WL

55WL + 21WL = 31600 lb in

Wl = 31600 lb in/ (55 + 21)

WL = 415.789 lb

This is the correct answer

1. How do you calculate the load weight of a truck?

To calculate the load weight of a truck, you will need to know the weight of the truck itself and the weight of the materials or goods being carried. Add these two numbers together to get the total load weight.

2. Is there a maximum weight limit for trucks?

Yes, there is a maximum weight limit for trucks that is determined by the Department of Transportation (DOT). This limit varies depending on the type of truck and the type of road it will be traveling on.

3. Can the load weight of a truck affect its performance?

Yes, the load weight of a truck can greatly affect its performance. An overloaded truck will have a harder time accelerating, braking, and steering, which can be dangerous for both the driver and other vehicles on the road.

4. How can you measure the weight of a truck's load?

The most accurate way to measure the weight of a truck's load is by using a scale. You can either weigh the truck and load together or weigh the truck empty and then weigh it again with the load and subtract the two numbers to get the load weight.

5. Are there any regulations for securing a truck's load?

Yes, there are regulations set by the DOT for securing a truck's load. It is important to properly secure the load to prevent it from shifting or falling off the truck while in transit, which can cause accidents and damage to the load or other vehicles on the road.