Why does the water shoot up out of the straw at the top

• Thread starter Shay10825
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Water
In summary: The pressure in the top decreases and the pressure in the bottom increases?The pressure in the top decreases and the pressure in the bottom increases?
Shay10825
Hi everyone :smile: !
My physics teacher showed us this thing he made and then asked us “why does the water shoot up out of the straw at the top”? No one knew the answer and he did not tell us the answer. And this has been bothering me for almost 2 weeks now (keep reading and it will make more sense . . . I hope).

My teacher took two soda bottles (you know the liter ones). He glued 2 straws in the inside of them and filled one about half way with water (i know this sounds really weird but the drawing will make more sense. . . hopefully lol). He glued them on top of each other and then turned it upside down so the one with the water is now on top. The water goes down into the bottle on the bottom but water shoots out of the straw on the top. Yeah I know your are probable thinking to yourself that this girl is crazy and makes no sense whatsoever lol. I'm sorry but it's hard to explain in words what he did. Why does the water shoot out of the top of the straw that is in the top bottle? What causes the water to shoot out of the straw? I know it has something to do with pressure. I hope the drawing makes more sense. lol :biggrin:

http://img76.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img76&image=water1gz.png

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

~Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, there are two fluids in this system... can you tell me what happens to the other one as the water flows?

Two fluids?? There is only water. Some of it goes down into the other bottel and the rest shoots up the straw.

A fluid does not have to be a liquid. Look up the definition.

Is the other fluid air? And if so then as the water flows the air goes under the water?

Last edited:
Shay10825 said:
Is the other fluid air? And if so then as the water flowes the air goes under the water?

Correct and correct.
Now, what would "push" the air under the water and up thru the straw??

BTW ---> Compliments on your EXCELLENT ILLUSTRATION. Very nice!

~~

Last edited:
Correct and correct.
Now, what would "push" the air under the water and thru the straw??
I have no clue. Could it be the air in the bottom bottle?

BTW ---> Compliments on your EXCELLENT ILLUSTRATION. Very nice!

Shay10825 said:

I have no clue. Could it be the air in the bottom bottle?

What happens to the PRESSURE in the TOP bottle when water leaves??
What happens to the PRESSURE in the BOTTOM bottle when water enters??

~~

xanthym said:
What happens to the PRESSURE in the TOP bottle when water leaves??
What happens to the PRESSURE in the BOTTOM bottle when water enters??

~~
The pressure in the top decreases and the pressure in the bottom increases?

Shay10825 said:

The pressure in the top decreases and the pressure in the bottom increases?

CORRECT!
Fluids tend to flow from regions of higher pressure to regions of lower pressure. Now can you see what's happening?

~~

not really. Why does the pressure make the air go under the water?

Shay10825 said:
not really. Why does the pressure make the air go under the water?

The TOP end of the Top straw (inside the Top bottle) will experience a LOWER PRESSURE than the BOTTOM end of the Top straw. Thus, air and water will be "pushed" through the straw from bottom to top (because fluids tend to flow from regions of higher pressure to regions of lower pressure).

~~

Last edited:
ohhhhhhhh :rofl: ! I understand now. Thanks :smile:

I still don't get what you mean by the "air will go under the water"...

I guess the air does not really go under the water. Everything just gets sucked up because it is going from high to low pressure. Right??

Is what I said correct?? Is it just being sucked up the straw or is the air going under the water and pushing it up the straw??

Both. The pressure in the top bottle is dropping. the pressue in the bottom is rising.

so it's really the air being sucked up and the air brings the water up with it?

So baisicly it is the same concept as if u have a emty bottle and took the opining and pointed it down then took it to the bottom of a pool it(the bottole) will shot up or as the diving platforms off the underside of a sub
____(air dispersese)
^
\_____ _______/
^(Water)
?Am i baisicly rite?

sry that's a bad diagram it was suppose to be baisicly the bottom side of a closed object(filled with) with an opening facing water

1. Why does the water shoot up out of the straw at the top?

The water shoots up out of the straw at the top due to a phenomenon called air pressure. When you suck on the straw, you create a low pressure area inside the straw. This low pressure area causes the surrounding higher pressure air to push the liquid up and into the straw, resulting in the water shooting up.

2. Is there a limit to how high the water can shoot up out of the straw?

Yes, there is a limit to how high the water can shoot up out of the straw. This is because the higher the water rises, the lower the pressure becomes in the straw. Eventually, the pressure difference between the inside of the straw and the surrounding air will equalize, and the water will stop shooting up.

3. Why does the water only shoot up when I suck on the straw and not when I blow into it?

The water only shoots up when you suck on the straw because when you blow into it, you are creating a higher pressure area inside the straw. This higher pressure prevents the surrounding air from pushing the liquid up and into the straw.

4. Does the type of liquid affect how high the water shoots up out of the straw?

Yes, the type of liquid can affect how high the water shoots up out of the straw. Thicker and more viscous liquids, such as syrup, will not shoot up as high as thinner liquids, like water. This is because thicker liquids require more force to be pushed up and out of the straw.

5. Can the length or width of the straw affect how high the water shoots up?

Yes, the length and width of the straw can affect how high the water shoots up. A longer and narrower straw will create a stronger pressure difference, resulting in the water shooting up higher. However, if the straw is too narrow, it may be difficult for the liquid to pass through, resulting in a lower shooting height.