Solving for E and B Fields Using Lorenz Force Equation | Electromagnetics Help"

In summary, the three different forces experienced by a test charge q at a point in a region of electric and magnetic fields are given with three diferent velocities, where Uo and Eo are constants. Find E and B at that point. Use Lorenz force equation.
robert25pl
Finding E and B fields from forces experinced by a test charge with three diferent velocities

F1=qEo(ax-ay+az) for v1=Uo*ax
F2=qEo(ax-ay-az) for v2=Uo*ay
F3=0 for v3=Uo*az

I used Lorenz force equation and by reduce E by subtracting equation 1 from 2 and eq. 3 from 2 I got

Uo(ay-ax) X B = Eo(-2az)
Uo(ay-az) X B = qEo(ax-ay-az)

So

B = C(-2az) X (ax-ay-az) = -C

Then I solved For C and for B. I not sure that I got right to this point. Can someone help me with that problem. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand what you have done. What is the reason for doing F1-F2 and so on.

I would have used the equation for lorenz force to 3 individual cases.

F = q( E + v x B)
qE0 ( a, -a, a) = q(Ex, Ey, Ez) + (a U0, 0, 0) X (Bx, By, Bz) ----------(1)

Write similar equations for case 2 and 3.

You have 9 equations to solve for 6 unknowns.

Sorry, This is a problem.:
The forces experienced by a test charge q at a point in a region of electric and magnetic fields, respectivlely, are given with three diferent velocities, where Uo and Eo are constants. Find E and B at that point. Use Lorenz force equation.
given:
F1=qEo(ax-ay+az) for v1=Uo*ax
F2=qEo(ax-ay-az) for v2=Uo*ay
F3=0 for v3=Uo*az

From Lorenz force equation I have
qE+q*Uo(ax) X B = qEo(ax-ay+az)
qE+q*Uo(ay) X B = qEo(ax-ay-az)
qE+q*Uo(az) X B = 0

I reduce q and E by subtracting equation 1 from 2 and eq. 3 from 1. I got

Uo(ay-ax) X B = Eo(-2az)
Uo(ax-az) X B = Eo(ax-ay+az)

so if (-2az) and (ax-ay+az) is perpendicular to B then (ay-ax) and (ax-az) is parallel to B so wwe will have

B = C(-2az) X (ax-ay+az) = -C (is this right?)

where C isa proportionality constant. I solved For C and for B. I not sure that I got right to this point. I never did your way so I'm trying the way I know it can be solve. I hope You will understand now better. Thanks

(ay-ax) and (ax-az) is parallel to B
This is wrong. If this is the case then (ay-ax) X B = 0 and (ax-az) X B = 0 which are not true.

Any way your idea is right.

B = C(-2az) X (ax-ay+az) = -C (is this right?)

This is wrong. Check again. Right hand side should have x and y. This is a cross product.

When you do this right, subtitute it in your lorentz force equatins. Equating the coefficient of the x, y, z components should give you B, and E.

So is this should look like this?

B = C(-2az) X (ax-ay+az) = -C(ax-ay)

Substituding

Uo(ay-ax) X -C(ax-ay) = Eo(-2az)

-UoC(2az) = Eo(-2az)

C = Eo/Uo

Then B = (Eo/Uo)(ax-ay) Is this ok? I really need help with that? Thanks

B = C(-2az) X (ax-ay+az) = -C(ax-ay)

B = C(-2az) X (ax-ay+az) = -2 a^2 C(x+y). Since 'a' is a constnat, say

B = D (x+y)

Substituting

Uo(ay-ax) X D(x+y) = Eo(-2az)
Uo a D (-2z) = Eo(-2az)
D = Eo/Uo

Therefore B = Eo/Uo (x+y)

Do similar thing to find E. Don't make mistake when you take the cross product.

I am getting,

E = (aEo, -aEo, 0) or in your notation E = (aEox - aEoy)

Last edited:
Thanks for help. I was reading some book and they show another way to do it. From these two equations

Uo(ay-ax) X B = Eo(-2az)
Uo(ax-az) X B = Eo(ax-ay+az)

we can use componets and solve

ax ay az
Uo -1 1 0 = Eo(-2az)
Bx By Bz

Then

Uo[Bz*ax+By*az - Bx*az+Bz*ay] = Eo(-2az)
So:
By-Bx = -Eo/Uo(az) and Bz=0

Then I will do same thing for second equation. Is this right way to do it too? Is there simplers way to do that kind problems? Thanks

1. What is Electromagnetics?

Electromagnetics is the branch of physics that studies the relationship between electricity and magnetism. It deals with the behavior of electromagnetic fields and their interactions with matter.

2. How is Electromagnetics used in everyday life?

Electromagnetics plays a crucial role in many modern technologies such as electricity, telecommunications, and computing. It is also used in household appliances, transportation, and medical equipment.

3. What are the fundamental principles of Electromagnetics?

The fundamental principles of Electromagnetics are the laws of electricity and magnetism, which include Gauss's Law, Ampere's Law, Faraday's Law, and Lenz's Law. These laws describe the behavior of electric and magnetic fields and how they interact with each other.

4. How does Electromagnetics relate to other branches of science?

Electromagnetics has strong connections to other branches of science, such as quantum mechanics, optics, and thermodynamics. It also has practical applications in engineering and technology.

5. What are some common applications of Electromagnetics in research?

Some common applications of Electromagnetics in research include studying the properties of materials, developing new technologies, and understanding the behavior of electromagnetic radiation in different environments. It is also used in fields such as astronomy, geophysics, and biophysics.