How will humanity prepare for the end of the world in 5113 years?

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Earth
In summary, people would spend their last month living extravagantly, apologizing to everyone, and trying to make amends for their past.
enosis_ said:
With my luck, people would drop off their bad pets and broken stuff.
:rofl:

BTW, where do you live, I've got some stuff for you. o:)

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
Evo said:
:rofl:

BTW, where do you live, I've got some stuff for you. o:)

See what I mean

I heard the LHC is in shutdown mode.. but is it possible it can be online doing classified experiment? What significant physics activity or experiment is going on next week?

What country nearest Switzerland has nuclear or Hellfire missile tipped fighters ready to be deployed on a moment notice?

Drink, fight and fudge

How would it start? Shock and awe? would it be quick?

Does anyone know how fast it would take for spagettization inside a black hole? Our intestines may stretch longer til it breaks. Do you know our intestine has only pain sensors for stretching, so maybe a slow and painful process?

enosis_ said:
With my luck, people would drop off their bad pets and broken stuff.

i don't think these come under the category of valuables.

Monsterboy said:
i don't think these come under the category of valuables.

exactly

http://img541.imageshack.us/img541/9702/myanweatherforecast.jpg [Broken]

Mayan hot dog vendor: Hurry, hurry, get 'em before their hot!

Last edited by a moderator:
Ivan Seeking said:
http://img541.imageshack.us/img541/9702/myanweatherforecast.jpg [Broken]

Mayan hot dog vendor: Hurry, hurry, get 'em before their hot!

Damn, and here I was looking forward to the weekend.

phinds said:
Damn, and here I was looking forward to the weekend.

On a positive note, it looks like the forecast for Saturday is clear skies.

On 21/12/2012, someone:"Hey, it's not today, it's on 22/02/2022!".

I'm turning myself to a mix of Catho-Christo-Juda-Budd-Muslimsm worshipper for this day to hedge my bets of hitting heaven! Worse come to worst I'll have been groped by a Rabbi.

Femme_physics said:
I'm turning myself to a mix of Catho-Christo-Juda-Budd-Muslimsm worshipper for this day to hedge my bets of hitting heaven! Worse come to worst I'll have been groped by a Rabbi.

According to wiki:

wiki said:
In the meantime, The Hell Director welcomes a group of new arrivals to Hell. Many of them are observant religious people who express surprise at being there, but they are told that only Mormons were right after all and are saved.

I have a Book of Mormon on my bookshelf I could Fedex you. Though you'll have to be a very fast reader.

Might be too late for that.

hmmm... Here's what I remember:
Boys on bikes
Joe Smith
Utah
Moroni
Wives
Mitt Romney
the end

Two days left!

----------------------------
ps. What did E turn out to be? I would have helped, but I found the thread at 4 am on Saturday morning, and after two hours, all I could show for my work was a headache.

...Come 23. I'll just wait for my buddy to come down from the Alps and drink beer like Good ol' days.

in spite of our technology like iphone and Mars curiosity probe.. we were still influenced by something the Mayan said over 5000 years ago. Can anyone think of how to start a similar influence so that people in the future of 7000 A.D. would talk about us and our calendar?

Btw.. what was the purpose of the Mayan Long Count?

rodsika said:
in spite of our technology like iphone and Mars curiosity probe.. we were still influenced by something the Mayan said over 5000 years ago.
The earliest Maya settlements date to around 1800 B.C.
The History Channel, you know how reliable they are.
That's not when they created their calendar. They never said anything at all related to the end of the world.

Jimmy Snyder said:
The earliest Maya settlements date to around 1800 B.C.
The History Channel, you know how reliable they are.
That's not when they created their calendar. They never said anything at all related to the end of the world.

So where did the Mayan get the information about the long count starting in August 11, 3114 B.C. and ending in Dec 21, 2012 A.D. or the 5125 cycle? And who created them?

On December 22. I'd begin to totally forget about the Mayan or won't have the interest to ask anymore about.. so let this 2 days be the last opportunity to learn about it all.

rodsika said:
So where did the Mayan get the information about the long count starting in August 11, 3114 B.C. and ending in Dec 21, 2012 A.D. or the 5125 cycle? And who created them?

On December 22. I'd begin to totally forget about the Mayan or won't have the interest to ask anymore about.. so let this 2 days be the last opportunity to learn about it all.
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=history+of+mayan+long+calendar

rodsika said:
So where did the Mayan get the information about the long count starting in August 11, 3114 B.C. .
They didn't, that's a modern extrapolation. The earliest date they wrote of is 36 B.C.
wiki said:
The earliest Long Count inscription yet discovered is on Stela 2 at Chiapa de Corzo, Chiapas, Mexico, showing a date of 36 BCE
Wiki and therefore unreliable.

Very clever

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/525060_403922429687752_701677520_n.jpg [Broken]

My money is on the Oreo.

I know everyone here has been trying so hard to be especially good so Santa will bring them lots and lots of goodies and hardly any lumps of coal. The Mayan prediction was that the world would end if people behave badly. However, a quick glance at the headlines this year reveals so many people doing naughty things, some of them exceptionally horrid. So I have been and will continue to spend the month being just as good as I can possibly be in an effort to counteract the bad karma. I hope you will too and that together, we may save the world from destruction. I just know you will too.

Wouldn't it be funny if the world really ends tomorrow? That would be a hoot! All of the naysayers would never hear to the end of it.

img-thing?.out=jpg&size=l&tid=19880508.jpg

Guys, the Mayans were right after all. I woke up at 11AM and there was no beer in my fridge.

It all relative - for my tooth - the world ended today when the dentist pulled it out and tossed it into a stainless steel container thereby making a destinctive "ka-plunk" sound. It was a good tooth. It served me well and will be missed by the others.

No one actually knows when the world will end and even not wise to know!

Well crud, it's already December 22nd in the East. The way this is going I may never buy another Mayan Calendar.

Ivan Seeking said:
The way this is going I may never buy another Mayan Calendar.
That was bound to happen no matter which way it went.

I'm sitting in the food court at the Plymouth Meeting Mall reading Peskin and Schroeder, surfing the net, and watching the shoppers buying gifts like there was no tomorrow.

Ivan Seeking said:
Well crud, it's already December 22nd in the East. The way this is going I may never buy another Mayan Calendar.

Unlike the world - the original calendar had to end at some point - didn't it? I would think calendar 2.0 should be a good buy - should last a long time too?

Earlier I killed a spider in the bathroom. It occurred to me that, as far as it was concerned the Mayan prophecy came true.

Hmmmm, so now what do I do about that F-22 sitting in my pasture? Got some splainin to do.

Ivan Seeking said:
Hmmmm, so now what do I do about that F-22 sitting in my pasture? Got some splainin to do.

I'll take it off your hands Ivan.
You can trust me, I'm in the Air Force!

The calendar I just got ends on December 31, 2013. Should we be worried?

Apparently people didn't think about the fact that it's not the same day all the way around the world at the same time. I guess in Australia the world was supposed to end 12 hours before it ended for Americans?

<h2>1. How do scientists predict the end of the world in 5113 years?</h2><p>Scientists use various models and data to predict the future of our planet. These include studying historical patterns, analyzing current trends, and considering potential catastrophic events such as asteroid impacts or climate change. However, it is important to note that these predictions are not definite and can change as new information and advancements in science are made.</p><h2>2. What steps can humanity take to prepare for the end of the world?</h2><p>Preparing for the end of the world is a complex and ongoing process. Some steps that humanity can take include investing in sustainable practices to mitigate the effects of climate change, developing technology to detect and prevent potential catastrophic events, and creating emergency plans and protocols. It is also important for individuals to educate themselves and others on potential risks and how to respond in a crisis.</p><h2>3. Will humanity be able to survive the end of the world in 5113 years?</h2><p>It is impossible to accurately predict the outcome of such a catastrophic event. However, humans have shown resilience and adaptability in the face of challenges throughout history. With proper preparation and advancements in technology, it is possible that humanity could survive the end of the world in 5113 years.</p><h2>4. How can we ensure the preservation of human knowledge and history in case of the end of the world?</h2><p>One way to ensure the preservation of human knowledge and history is through the creation of comprehensive archives and databases. These could include physical copies of important documents, as well as digital backups stored in secure locations. Additionally, efforts can be made to educate and train individuals on how to pass down important information and skills to future generations.</p><h2>5. Is there a specific timeline for when humanity should start preparing for the end of the world?</h2><p>There is no specific timeline for when humanity should start preparing for the end of the world. However, it is important for individuals and governments to take proactive steps towards sustainability and disaster preparedness to increase our chances of survival in the face of potential catastrophic events. It is never too early to start taking action to protect our planet and future generations.</p>

1. How do scientists predict the end of the world in 5113 years?

Scientists use various models and data to predict the future of our planet. These include studying historical patterns, analyzing current trends, and considering potential catastrophic events such as asteroid impacts or climate change. However, it is important to note that these predictions are not definite and can change as new information and advancements in science are made.

2. What steps can humanity take to prepare for the end of the world?

Preparing for the end of the world is a complex and ongoing process. Some steps that humanity can take include investing in sustainable practices to mitigate the effects of climate change, developing technology to detect and prevent potential catastrophic events, and creating emergency plans and protocols. It is also important for individuals to educate themselves and others on potential risks and how to respond in a crisis.

3. Will humanity be able to survive the end of the world in 5113 years?

It is impossible to accurately predict the outcome of such a catastrophic event. However, humans have shown resilience and adaptability in the face of challenges throughout history. With proper preparation and advancements in technology, it is possible that humanity could survive the end of the world in 5113 years.

4. How can we ensure the preservation of human knowledge and history in case of the end of the world?

One way to ensure the preservation of human knowledge and history is through the creation of comprehensive archives and databases. These could include physical copies of important documents, as well as digital backups stored in secure locations. Additionally, efforts can be made to educate and train individuals on how to pass down important information and skills to future generations.

5. Is there a specific timeline for when humanity should start preparing for the end of the world?

There is no specific timeline for when humanity should start preparing for the end of the world. However, it is important for individuals and governments to take proactive steps towards sustainability and disaster preparedness to increase our chances of survival in the face of potential catastrophic events. It is never too early to start taking action to protect our planet and future generations.