Square wave exponential fourier series

In summary, a square wave exponential Fourier series is a mathematical tool used to represent a periodic square wave function as a combination of exponential functions. It is calculated using the Fourier transform and is significant in understanding the behavior of signals in various fields. However, it has limitations in terms of discontinuities and convergence, and is commonly used in practical applications such as signal processing and solving differential equations.
Funnynick
Homework 8 number 1.jpg

phpi9cccT.png

This is A and B my friend is telling me that Co is actually 0 and I am getting 1/2 and i don't see exactly what I am doing wrong if i indeed am doing something wrong hopefully someone here can check this out and let me know exactly where i went wrong..
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
You wrote yourself that [itex]c_n = 0[/itex] when [itex]n[/itex] is even.

I can't get the second image to open.

Thanks for the reply, i figured out my mistake and redid the problem completely and found the correct answer.

Thanks

for sharing your question with me. It's great to see that you are exploring the concepts of Fourier series, which are an important tool in analyzing periodic functions.

To address your specific question, I would like to clarify a few things about the Square wave exponential Fourier series. First, it is important to understand that the Fourier series represents a periodic function as a sum of sinusoidal functions with different frequencies and amplitudes. The coefficients A and B in this case represent the amplitudes of the cosine and sine terms, respectively.

Now, to find the coefficients of the Fourier series, we use the complex exponential form of the Fourier series. This means that the coefficients A and B can be calculated using the following formulas:

A = 1/T * ∫f(t)cos(nωt)dt
B = 1/T * ∫f(t)sin(nωt)dt

Where T is the period of the function, ω is the fundamental frequency (2π/T), and n is the harmonic number.

In the case of a square wave, the function is only defined for half of the period and is equal to 1 for half of the period and equal to -1 for the other half. This means that the integral will be non-zero only for certain values of n. For n = 0, the integral will be 0 since the function is equal to 0 for half of the period. This is why the coefficient C0, which represents the average value of the function, is equal to 0.

For n = 1, the integral will be equal to 1 for half of the period and -1 for the other half. This means that the coefficient C1, which represents the amplitude of the first harmonic, will be equal to 1. Similarly, for n = 3, the integral will be equal to 1/3 for half of the period and -1/3 for the other half, resulting in a coefficient of 1/3 for the third harmonic.

I hope this explanation helps to clarify the concept of the Square wave exponential Fourier series and why the coefficient C0 is equal to 0. Keep exploring and experimenting with Fourier series, and you will gain a deeper understanding of this powerful tool in signal analysis.

What is a square wave exponential Fourier series?

A square wave exponential Fourier series is a mathematical tool used to represent a periodic square wave function as a combination of exponential functions. It is a type of Fourier series that is used to analyze and describe the behavior of signals in various fields, such as engineering, physics, and mathematics.

How is a square wave exponential Fourier series calculated?

A square wave exponential Fourier series is calculated by using the Fourier transform to decompose the square wave function into its constituent frequencies. The coefficients of the resulting exponential functions are then used to construct the Fourier series representation of the square wave.

What is the significance of a square wave exponential Fourier series?

A square wave exponential Fourier series is significant because it allows us to understand the behavior of a square wave function in terms of its frequency components. This is important in various applications, such as signal processing, where the frequency content of a signal is crucial for analysis and manipulation.

What are the limitations of a square wave exponential Fourier series?

One limitation of a square wave exponential Fourier series is that it assumes the periodic function is continuous and has a finite number of discontinuities. This may not be the case in some real-world applications, leading to errors in the Fourier series representation. Additionally, the convergence of the series may be slow for some functions, making it difficult to accurately represent the signal.

How is a square wave exponential Fourier series used in practical applications?

A square wave exponential Fourier series is used in various practical applications, such as in the analysis and synthesis of signals in communication systems, audio and image processing, and control systems. It is also used in solving differential equations and modeling physical phenomena in fields such as acoustics and electromagnetism.