Oort Cloud Treat to Interstellar Space Travel

In summary, it sounds like there is quite a bit of material in the Oort Cloud, maybe enough to threaten interstellar space travel. However, the impact probability of a spacecraft passing through the cloud at a velocity of 0.1 C is quite low.
Chris Russell
A few quotes from various sources suggest there is quite a bit of material in the Oort Cloud, maybe enough to threaten interstellar space travel:
“The Oort cloud is an immense spherical cloud surrounding the planetary system and extending approximately 3 light years, about 30 trillion kilometers from the Sun.”
“The total mass of comets in the Oort cloud is estimated to be 40 times that of Earth.”
“…researchers estimate, the total mass that ended up in the Oort cloud is somewhere between 0.6 and 2 Earth masses – far less than the common estimates of 10 to 40 Earth masses.”
“Oort himself estimated that his cloud was composed of as many as 12 billion comets, and his estimate remains valid today.”

Assuming minimums in the cloud’s extent, total mass and estimated comet size and number, what is the probability of a spacecraft transiting the Oort Cloud safely at a velocity of 0.1 C? I’m aware that enough shielding will be required to withstand particle collisions in interstellar space – space excluding the Oort Cloud.

A bit ago I attempted to answer this question:

Impact probability?
Base Data:
•One sixth of an estimated six trillion icy objects or comets are in the outer region with the remainder in the relatively dense core. The dense core that lies near the ecliptic plane. Use 1,000,000,000,000. (When I did this, I wasn’t using scientific notation. I recorded what my calculator generated.)
•30,000 to much as two light-years. Use the average distance of 44,000 AU.
•Within the cloud, comets are typically tens of millions of kilometers apart.

Assumptions:
•Place 1,000,000,000,000 comets in a spherical shell at a distance of 44,000 AU from the sun. Divide the surface area by the number of comets. This will give a density profile that can be used to estimate impact probability.
•Radius in kilometers = 44,000 AU * (149,597,870.691 kilometers/AU) = 6,582,306,310,404 kilometers.
•Area of a sphere = 4πR2 = 544460077987871840825190766.96785 km2.
•Area of the sphere / number of comets = 1 comet per 544,460,077,987,871.84082519076696785 km2 or 544,460 trillion km2
•Taking the square root of this = 23,333,668.3 km or 14,499,541.5 miles. This represents the separation between comets in this model.

Most extreme model:
(2π * 6,582,306,310,404 kilometers) / 6,000,000,000,000 = 41,357,850,296,885.887234356537418759 km2 / 6,000,000,000,000 = 6.89 km separation.

My calculations suggest that it is unlikely that the spacecraft will impact a “sizable” body. What does “sizable” mean? – I guess large enough to destroy the vehicle with one hit. I think, however, that this simple model misses considering the impact of smaller bodies created by collisions within the Oort Cloud. These smaller bodies and particles at 0.1 C might prove to be the greater hazard. Of course, it needs to be proven that comet collisions within the Oort Cloud have taken place. I’m also wonder if asteroids, which I assume have greater mass, exist within the Oort Cloud. I’ve seen nothing in the literature I’ve reviewed that suggests they may exist.

I need better estimate of impact probability than I have calculated. If anyone has any thoughts on the composition of the Oort Cloud and it’s treat to interstellar space travel, please share them.

A related question has to do with what we should expect about other stars like our sun. Will they more in like also have Oort Clouds?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
http://www.aas.org/publications/baas/v33n3/dps2001/371.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
So, hitting something in the Oort cloud doesn't sound like much of a treat at all. IMO, it sounds like more of a threat...

:rofl:

Given that we do have this nifty invention called radar, and would not be flying blind through such an area, i wouldn't be too worried.

1. What is the Oort Cloud and how does it affect interstellar space travel?

The Oort Cloud is a hypothetical cloud of icy objects located at the outermost edge of our solar system. It is believed to be the source of long-period comets that occasionally enter the inner solar system. Its vast distance from Earth makes it a potential obstacle for interstellar space travel, as spacecraft would need to navigate through it in order to leave our solar system.

2. Is it possible to use the Oort Cloud as a source of resources for interstellar space travel?

While the Oort Cloud is believed to contain a large amount of icy material, it is located at such a vast distance that it would be extremely difficult to access and extract resources from. Additionally, the Oort Cloud is not a solid object, but rather a cloud of small, widely dispersed objects, making it an impractical source of resources for interstellar space travel.

3. How do scientists study the Oort Cloud and its potential impact on interstellar space travel?

Scientists study the Oort Cloud through observations of comets and their trajectories, as well as through computer simulations and theoretical models. They also study the effects of the Oort Cloud on spacecraft trajectories and develop strategies for navigating through it during interstellar space travel.

4. What are the potential dangers of navigating through the Oort Cloud during interstellar space travel?

One potential danger is the presence of small, icy objects that could collide with spacecraft and cause damage. The vast distances and low density of the Oort Cloud also make it a potential challenge for navigation and communication with Earth. Additionally, the gravitational pull of the Oort Cloud could affect the trajectory of spacecraft passing through it.

5. Are there any proposed solutions for safely navigating through the Oort Cloud during interstellar space travel?

Some proposed solutions include using advanced sensors and technology to detect and avoid potential collisions with objects in the Oort Cloud, as well as developing more efficient propulsion systems to minimize the time spent passing through the cloud. Scientists also continue to study the Oort Cloud and its potential impact on interstellar space travel in order to develop better strategies for navigating through it in the future.