Stainless steel cooling container, need some help with the maths

In summary, the device designer is struggling to calculate how long it will take to cool water to 20 degrees Celsius using a passive or forced system. He has found a starting point using an equation and a surface area calculation.
si-83
Hi guys, I'm designing a cooling device as part of a project and need a little help with the maths.

OK, so the scenario is this, take boiling water, put it in a stainless steel container with Thermal Conductivity of 8.7 Btu/h ft °F and dimensions of 15.811cm x 15.811cm x 1 cm to store 250ml of water with a wall depth of 4.7625mm.

What I'm struggling to find out right now is how long it will take to cool the water to 20c.

I'm looking to cool the water as quick as possible so I'm looking at a passive system as described above and then to implement a forced system and add fins to both sides to improve heat transfer rate. I've got to cool the water to room temperature in around 7 minutes and the maths is killing me even to figure out the passive system so i guess with a heat sink type design and implement a forced air flow it's going to get even worse but I'm hoping you guys are in the mood to be helpful if you can.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Thanks I've tried this equation but end up with a figure that seems too large.

heres my workings

energy difference of 250ml of water between 20 and 100 degrees= 83600 J

8.7 Btu/h ft. °F - watt/meter/K [W/(m·c)]= 15.47

area of container = 563.219cm^2

depth 4.7625mm

A = 5.63219m^2

k = 15.47 w/(m*c)

dT = 80

s = 0.0047625m

Q=1424590.431 watts?

So that means that I'm transfering 1424kj/per second? which means that the water will cool in 0.059 seconds?

Well, first off, check your surface area calculation. You are finding the area of the material contacting the water. If it's a box, you have 4 sides plus a top and bottom. Keep units consistent.

ahhhhhh, that's quite a big typo... thanks so now I'm down to .0563244m^2 I'm getting 14245.904 watts which makes takes me up to 5.868 seconds. still seems pretty low.

The surface area i found by taking the two larger sides 250cm^2 each and then the other 4 sides 15.811cm^2. 563cm^2.

Plus, as I said, that's just a starting point. Here's another couple:

Heat Transfer Look at the insulated box example.
HTC You'll need to figure out the Heat Transfer Coefficient, too.

It should also be noted that just filling a box with water isn't exactly the best way to transfer heat. Typically you want the fluid to be flowing over the contact surface for good heat transfer.

And here's another tip: 1 m^2 = 10000 cm^2, not 100 cm^2.

Thanks guys so I've got down that if i use it in a well ventilated container it will take around 12 minutes and if i use a fan to help with forced convection it will take around 3, that's using fouriers law and a heat transfer coefficient of 21 and 100 for the air respectively and a heat transfer co-efficient of 0 on the water side. sound about right?

1. What is the purpose of a stainless steel cooling container?

A stainless steel cooling container is used to keep items, such as food or drinks, cool for extended periods of time. It is commonly used for storage and transportation of perishable goods.

2. How does a stainless steel cooling container work?

A stainless steel cooling container works by utilizing the insulating properties of the stainless steel and the cooling properties of the material inside, such as ice. The stainless steel helps to keep the cold temperature contained, while the cold material inside keeps the items cool.

3. How do I calculate the cooling capacity of a stainless steel cooling container?

The cooling capacity of a stainless steel cooling container can be calculated by multiplying the volume of the container (in cubic meters) by the specific heat capacity of the material inside and the change in temperature (in Kelvin) divided by the time (in seconds).

4. How do I convert temperature measurements for the cooling container?

To convert temperature measurements for the cooling container, you can use the formula: Kelvin = Celsius + 273.15. This will allow you to convert between Kelvin, Celsius, and Fahrenheit, which are the most commonly used units for temperature.

5. How do I choose the right size stainless steel cooling container for my needs?

The size of the stainless steel cooling container you choose will depend on your specific needs. Consider the amount of items you need to keep cool, the length of time you need to keep them cool, and the space you have available for storage and transportation. It is recommended to choose a slightly larger size than you think you will need, to ensure you have enough space for all of your items.