Determine new travel direction

In summary, it is not possible to solve the new travel direction of the smiley face using the given information.
levydee
Using the given information, is it possible to solve the new travel direction of the smiley face? To clarify, I am casting a ray using the Möller–Trumbore ray-triangle intersection algorithm.http://http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M%C3%B6ller%E2%80%93Trumbore_intersection_algorithm by casting the ray in the travel direction of the smiley face, I can determine how far away from said plane I am. When I hit that point, is their a mathematical way to, in this specific case, stop the x-axis from advancing, and advance the z axis at half the rate?

If any clarification is needed please let me know.

Thank you.

Attachments

• Math issue.jpg
    Math issue.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 304
Physics news on Phys.org
Which kind of interaction do you have between the wall and the smiley?
A perfect elastic collision? Reverse the x-component, keep the z-component.
Perfect inelastic? Set the x-component to zero, keep the z-component
Sticky? Set both components to zero
Something else?

This is not necessarily a physics question. Elasticity is not a factor in the context of the intended use. Basically the plane is static and the smiley face is controlled by keyboard input(W,A,S,D). I can muscle in some bounding checks between objects, but I am looking for more of an eloquent solution. I am a programmer and am working on a physics engine. Collisions between dynamic bodies is handled else where.

What is your question then?
In your code, you can set every component to everything you like, but most results will look unrealistic.

Ok, so using the picture provided, assume my smiley face is moving at -10 arbitrary units on the X axis, and 10 arbitrary units on the Z axis. When the smiley face contacts the wall(knowing its travel vector and the planes normal), I want to now move at 0 units on the X axis, and move at 5 units on the Z axis. Just as an example. I guess I am looking for some formula, or algorithm to simulate that. I am sorry if I am in the wrong forums. I am just looking for some tips or opinions.

Thank you

Simulate what, in which way?
Let it move step by step? Then you just need the previous position and the current velocity for each step.
Calculate its position after some specific time? Simple algebra (addition and multiplication) with both components.

I wonder of OP has misunderstood what is meant by "elastic"?
What happens in the collision depends on what type of collision you want - in a computer program you can pick any kind of collision you like and simulate it.
Therefore we cannot help you the way you want unless you make a decision here.

What would be wrong, for example, just "reflecting" the smiley off the barrier?
Do you want the barrier to be a bit sticky so the smiley loses some speed after the collision?
Do you want the velocity of the barrier to add or remove something to/from the smiley?

The short answer to the question in post #1 is "no", there is not enough information.

1. How do you determine the new travel direction?

The new travel direction can be determined by using a compass or other navigational tools such as a GPS device. These tools can provide information about the direction you are currently facing and the direction you need to go in order to reach your desired destination.

2. What factors should be considered when determining a new travel direction?

When determining a new travel direction, it is important to consider factors such as your current location, the location of your destination, the terrain, and any potential obstacles that may affect your route. You should also take into account weather conditions and the time of day.

3. Can the new travel direction change during a journey?

Yes, the new travel direction can change during a journey due to various factors such as road closures, weather changes, or detours. It is important to regularly check your navigation tools and adjust your direction accordingly to ensure you reach your destination safely and efficiently.

4. How can I determine the new travel direction without navigational tools?

If you do not have access to navigational tools, you can still determine the new travel direction by using natural indicators such as the position of the sun or stars. You can also use landmarks or ask for directions from locals. However, it is recommended to always have navigational tools as a backup for accuracy and reliability.

5. How can I determine the best travel direction for my journey?

The best travel direction for your journey will depend on various factors such as your mode of transportation, the distance you need to travel, and your desired arrival time. It is important to plan your journey ahead of time and consider all relevant factors to determine the most efficient and safe travel direction.