Finding the Scalar for a Vector in a Linear Combination

In summary, the conversation discusses how to write a vector b as a linear combination of given vectors v1, v2, and v3. The process involves creating a matrix A using the given vectors, solving the system Ax=b, and then expressing b as a linear combination of the original vectors using the scalars from the system. The conversation also addresses a question about determining whether v1 is a linear combination of the given vectors, and suggests multiplying the original vector equation by a scalar to rearrange the terms and make v1 the subject.
shan
The question asks: Write down the vector b as the linear combination of vectors, v1, v2, v3.

To which I got:

b = [tex]\left(\begin{array}{cc}1\\3\\2\end{array}\right)[/tex] = [tex]\left(\begin{array}{cc}1\\-2\\2\end{array}\right)\frac{7}{2} + \left(\begin{array}{cc}0\\1\\-3\end{array}\right)0 + \left(\begin{array}{cc}-1\\4\\-2\end{array}\right)\frac{5}{2}[/tex]

(as A was the matrix made up of those three vectors, and the scalars were the answers from the system Ax=b)

Then the question asks: Determine whether the vector v1 is the linear combination of vectors, v2, v3, b.

Could someone tell me how to find the scalar for vector b?

At the moment I have:

[tex]\left(\begin{array}{cc}0\\1\\-3\end{array}\right)0+ \left(\begin{array}{cc}-1\\4\\-2\end{array}\right)\frac{5}{2}+ \left(\begin{array}{cc}\frac{7}{2}\\0\\\frac{5}{2}\end{array}\right)[/tex]

And I don't know what number to multiply the last vector by...

Physics news on Phys.org
Shouldnt the linear combinations look like this?

[tex]
\left(\begin{array}{cc}1\\3\\2\end{array}\right)=
1\left(\begin{array}{cc}1\\0\\0\end{array}\right)+
3\left(\begin{array}{cc}0\\1\\0\end{array}\right)+
2\left(\begin{array}{cc}0\\0\\1\end{array}\right)
[/tex]

Erienion said:
Shouldnt the linear combinations look like this?

[tex]
\left(\begin{array}{cc}1\\3\\2\end{array}\right)=
1\left(\begin{array}{cc}1\\0\\0\end{array}\right)+
3\left(\begin{array}{cc}0\\1\\0\end{array}\right)+
2\left(\begin{array}{cc}0\\0\\1\end{array}\right)
[/tex]
No, he were to express the vector b as a linear combination in terms of the three originally given vectors.

shan:
Just multiply your original (vector) equation with [tex]\frac{2}{7}[/tex] and rearrange your terms.

Erenion,u used 3 vectors that could form a basis in [itex]\mathbb{C}^{3} [/itex]...I think this property will be lost,once u try to express one of the basis vectors as a lin.combo.of the other basis vectors & the original vector...

Since the OP's problem dooesn't mention linear independence & completitude,i guess what he's done is correct and he can solve point "b",if he's more careful with his algebra...

Daniel.

arildno said:
shan:
Just multiply your original (vector) equation with [tex]\frac{2}{7}[/tex] and rearrange your terms.
hmm but I don't understand why? As I need to determine whether v1 is a linear combination of vectors v2, v3 and b, if I multiplied the original vector equation with [tex]\frac{2}{7}[/tex], wouldn't I change the length of v1?

shan said:
hmm but I don't understand why? As I need to determine whether v1 is a linear combination of vectors v2, v3 and b, if I multiplied the original vector equation with [tex]\frac{2}{7}[/tex], wouldn't I change the length of v1?
What do you mean?
v1 is the vector (1,-2,2), right?

arildno said:
What do you mean?
v1 is the vector (1,-2,2), right?
Yeah... ok maybe I'm misunderstanding. By original vector equation, you mean this one?

[tex]\left(\begin{array}{cc}1\\-2\\2\end{array}\right)\frac{7}{2} + \left(\begin{array}{cc}0\\1\\-3\end{array}\right)0 + \left(\begin{array}{cc}-1\\4\\-2\end{array}\right)\frac{5}{2}[/tex]

So you're saying to multiply the above equation by \frac{2}{7} and rearrange to make v1 (1, -2, 2) the subject?

shan said:
Yeah... ok maybe I'm misunderstanding. By original vector equation, you mean this one?

[tex]\left(\begin{array}{cc}1\\-2\\2\end{array}\right)\frac{7}{2} + \left(\begin{array}{cc}0\\1\\-3\end{array}\right)0 + \left(\begin{array}{cc}-1\\4\\-2\end{array}\right)\frac{5}{2}[/tex]

So you're saying to multiply the above equation by \frac{2}{7} and rearrange to make v1 (1, -2, 2) the subject?

I take it you meant:
b=[tex]\left(\begin{array}{cc}1\\-2\\2\end{array}\right)\frac{7}{2} + \left(\begin{array}{cc}0\\1\\-3\end{array}\right)0 + \left(\begin{array}{cc}-1\\4\\-2\end{array}\right)\frac{5}{2}[/tex]

Yes, that's the equation I was referring to..

Ah ok, I got it. Thanks for the help :)

1. What is a linear combination of vectors?

A linear combination of vectors is a mathematical operation where two or more vectors are added together after being multiplied by a corresponding set of constants. The resulting vector is a combination of the original vectors and is calculated by adding the products of the constants and the corresponding components of the original vectors.

2. How do you calculate a linear combination of vectors?

To calculate a linear combination of vectors, first multiply each vector by a corresponding constant. Then, add the resulting vectors together by adding their corresponding components. The resulting vector is the linear combination of the original vectors.

3. What is the purpose of calculating linear combinations of vectors?

Calculating linear combinations of vectors is useful in many areas of mathematics and science, such as in solving systems of linear equations, finding solutions to optimization problems, and determining linear independence of a set of vectors.

4. Can vectors be combined in ways other than linear combinations?

Yes, vectors can be combined in other ways such as vector addition, vector subtraction, and vector multiplication. However, linear combinations are particularly useful because they allow for the creation of new vectors that can be used to solve various problems.

5. Are linear combinations of vectors unique?

No, linear combinations of vectors are not unique. In fact, there are infinitely many linear combinations that can be created from a set of vectors. However, some combinations may be more useful or relevant depending on the problem at hand.