Simple Harmonic Motion Equilibrium

In summary, when a force is applied downwards on a mass hanging from a spring, it will establish a new equilibrium point if applied continuously. However, if the force is meant to add energy to the system, like pushing down on the mass, it will not change the equilibrium point.
genevievelily
I am a little confused with this subject. If you have a mass hanging from a spring, there is a specific equilibrium point, but what if you apply a force downwards on the mass, will this have an effect on the equilibrium position or will it remain the same?

thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
If the force is applied continuously, it would be added to the current downward force of the mass, and (Edit) the system would establish a new equilibrium point. Is that what you meant?

Last edited:
My first reply was poor to incorrect. I think when you said apply a force, you meant adding energy to the system, like pushing down on the mass. That would not change the equilibrium point. Sorry for being too hasty.:blushing:

yes that is what I meant, thanks!

genevievelily said:
yes that is what I meant, thanks!

My post #3 crossed paths with your reply at about the same time. Please read!

Likes 1 person

1. What is Simple Harmonic Motion Equilibrium?

Simple Harmonic Motion Equilibrium refers to the state in which an object is at rest or moving with constant velocity, due to the balance of forces acting on it. This occurs when the net force on the object is equal to zero.

2. What are the conditions for Simple Harmonic Motion Equilibrium?

The two conditions for Simple Harmonic Motion Equilibrium are that the net force acting on the object must be zero, and the net torque acting on the object must also be zero. This means that the object is either at rest or moving with constant velocity.

3. How is Simple Harmonic Motion Equilibrium related to Hooke's Law?

Simple Harmonic Motion Equilibrium is related to Hooke's Law because both concepts involve the balance of forces. Hooke's Law states that the force required to stretch or compress a spring is directly proportional to the displacement of the spring from its equilibrium position. This means that when the net force on the spring is zero, it is in Simple Harmonic Motion Equilibrium.

4. How does Simple Harmonic Motion Equilibrium apply to pendulums?

Simple Harmonic Motion Equilibrium can be seen in pendulums when the pendulum is at rest or swinging back and forth with a constant amplitude. This occurs when the weight of the pendulum bob is balanced by the tension and gravitational force acting on it. In this state, the pendulum is in Simple Harmonic Motion Equilibrium.

5. Can an object be in Simple Harmonic Motion Equilibrium if it is accelerating?

No, an object cannot be in Simple Harmonic Motion Equilibrium if it is accelerating. Simple Harmonic Motion Equilibrium requires the object to be at rest or moving with constant velocity. Acceleration indicates a change in velocity, which means that the net force on the object is not zero and it is not in equilibrium.