Need help: Trying to find the mass of a tortoise shell using a lever

In summary, the individual is trying to use a tortoise shell as an enclosure for a robot and needs to know its mass to choose suitable motors. They do not have precise mass-measurement tools, so they are trying to calculate the mass using the volume and density of the shell. They set up a system to calculate the mass of the top part of the shell, but are unsure how to find the torque of the support due to the continuously distributed force. They are looking for suggestions on how to solve this problem and are open to a rough approximation.
Nick O
I have a tortoise shell sitting in two parts on my desk (the top and the bottom). I somehow got it in my head that it would be fun to use it as an enclosure for a robot, and I need to know its mass when I choose motors for it.

Now, I don't have any precise mass-measurement tools - all I have is a bathroom scale whose needle won't even deflect for something as light as this shell. So I thought, "hey, I'm an engineering student, I can do this without a scale". I found the volume of the two parts with water and a measuring cup (75 and 20 mL for top and bottom). In theory, I can calculate the mass of the bottom once I have calculated the density of the top.

To calculate the mass of the top part of the shell, I set up the following system:

system.png

The mass acting as a lever is 1.9 kg. The center of mass is 5.5 in from the left, and the edge of the support is 5.75 in from the left. The shell's point of contact is 9.375 in from the left, and this is where the support just starts to revolve.

On the surface, it appeared straightforward to get a reasonable approximation of the mass. It would start something like this:

M = mass of lever
m = mass of shell
n = normal force on lever from support
g = acceleration due to gravity
CG = center of gravity
positive forces are up
positive torques are counterclockwise

n - Mg - mg = 0
τCG - τsupport - τshell = 0

On first inspection, it looks like two equations and two unknowns, which should be readily solveable. The problem is that I have no idea how to find τsupport, because force is continuously distributed from 0 to 5.75 inches, and probably varies linearly from zero to some maximum value such that the net force is |Mg + mg|. I don't know how to model this in terms of torque.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Note: I realize that the fulcrum is so close to the center of gravity that a precise measurement will be difficult to find. A rough approximation is fine. More importantly, I want to learn how to solve this sort of problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
Nick O said:
I have no idea how to find τsupport, because force is continuously distributed from 0 to 5.75 inches
It will not be uniformly distributed.
Before the shell is added, the mean position of the normal force must be at the midpoint of the lever. As the load on the right side of the lever is increased, it will move to the right to compensate.
Tipping occurs when this mean position reaches the edge of the table. I.e. the entire normal force will be at that point.
The torque balance equation is the only one you need.

1. How can a lever be used to find the mass of a tortoise shell?

A lever can be used to find the mass of a tortoise shell by balancing the shell on one end of the lever and adding known weights to the other end until the lever is in equilibrium.

2. What is the principle behind using a lever to find mass?

The principle behind using a lever to find mass is based on the law of the lever, which states that the product of the weight and distance from the fulcrum on one side of the lever is equal to the product of the weight and distance from the fulcrum on the other side.

3. What materials are needed to conduct this experiment?

To conduct this experiment, you will need a lever, a fulcrum, known weights, and a tortoise shell. The lever can be any rigid object such as a ruler or a wooden stick, and the fulcrum can be a point of support such as a pencil or a small block.

4. What are the units of measurement for the weights used in this experiment?

The units of measurement for the weights used in this experiment can be any standard unit of mass, such as grams or pounds. It is important to use the same units for both sides of the lever to ensure accuracy.

5. Are there any precautions that need to be taken when using a lever to find mass?

Yes, it is important to make sure that the lever is balanced and that the fulcrum is positioned correctly to avoid any errors in measurement. It is also important to handle the weights carefully to prevent any injuries or damage to the equipment.