How electrons flow in a circuit?

In summary, when an electrode is connected to a conducting wire, the anode (zinc) becomes negatively charged with respect to the cathode (copper), and electrons move from the anode to the cathode.
Entanglement
I have pictured I model about how electrons move in a circuit,

What happens first is that electrons are built up on both the cathode and anode but since both of them are made of different materials, the built up electrons on one of the two poles will be more than that on the other, which creates a potential difference, however there is an electron cloud in the conductor connected between the two poles, the electron cloud is affected by the electric field of both the electrodes once the wire is connected, I could say that both electrodes exert a repulsive force on the electron cloud, but fortunately the repulsive force of one of the electrodes will be more than that of the other due to the difference of quantity of charge, which will make the electron cloud move from high repulsive region to the low repulsive region causing a flowing current. The transfer of energy between the two poles is about to be the speed of light, but electrons themselves move at speed 0.02m/sec. I hope that model is right, but I would like someone on the forum to provide me with more accurate information, thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
What happens first is that electrons are built up on both the cathode and anode but since both of them are made of different materials, the built up electrons on one of the two poles will be more than that on the other, which creates a potential difference,

No, the anode is positively charged with respect to the anode and that's what creates the potential difference ( there is no build up of electrons on the anode)

If we are talking about ... for example a battery, the electrolyte causes a flow of ions towards the anode and electrons towards the cathode, creating the potential difference.Dave

davenn said:
No, the anode is positively charged with respect to the anode and that's what creates the potential difference ( there is no build up of electrons on the anode)

Dave
If zinc is the anode and copper is the cathode, zinc loses electrons and it turns into ions leaving its electrons on the electrode. While copper is the cathode it also loses electrons and turns into ions leaving its electrons on the electrode, but zinc has more tendency to form ions than copper
So the anode (zinc) become negatively charged with respect to the cathode, consequently electrons move from the anode to the cathode on connecting a conducting wire. That's what I mean..

Dou you know hall effect?? . these experiments are very interesting for your topic

I can confirm that your model is a simplified and accurate representation of how electrons flow in a circuit. Electrons are negatively charged particles, and in a circuit, they are able to move due to the presence of a potential difference created by the difference in electron buildup on the cathode and anode. The electric field created by this potential difference exerts a force on the electrons, causing them to flow from the high repulsive region to the low repulsive region. This flow of electrons is what we call an electric current.

However, it is important to note that while the transfer of energy between the two poles may occur at the speed of light, the actual movement of electrons is much slower, typically around 0.02m/sec as you mentioned. This is due to the resistance of the material in the circuit, which slows down the flow of electrons.

Overall, your understanding of how electrons flow in a circuit is correct. If you would like more detailed information, I suggest doing further research on concepts such as electric fields, potential difference, and resistance.

1. How do electrons flow in a circuit?

Electrons flow in a circuit from the negative terminal of a power source, through a conductive material (such as a wire), and back to the positive terminal of the power source.

2. What is the role of electrons in a circuit?

Electrons carry electrical energy and allow it to flow through a circuit, powering devices and completing tasks.

3. Do all materials allow electrons to flow through them in a circuit?

No, only conductive materials (such as metals) allow electrons to flow through them easily. Insulators, like rubber or plastic, do not allow electrons to flow.

4. Can electrons flow in both directions in a circuit?

Yes, electrons can flow in both directions in a circuit. However, in a typical circuit, the flow of electrons is from the negative to the positive terminal.

5. What is the speed of electron flow in a circuit?

The speed of electron flow can vary depending on the material and conditions of the circuit, but it is typically very fast, on the order of millions of meters per second.