[Help] Calculating impact force

In summary, the speaker is working on an experiment with piezoelectricity and is looking for a way to measure the force applied to a crystal. They have been tapping the crystal with a screw driver but are unable to calculate the force as they cannot find the amount of displacement. A suggestion is made to use a ratcheting spring mechanism or a marking mechanism to measure the distance of compression. The speaker also mentions the need for a video to track the force versus time graph.
themadquark
I am currently working on an experiment with piezoelectricity and was wondering how I would measure the force applied to the crystal. I have been tapping the crystal with a screw driver and was wondering how I would calculate the force of these taps as I cannot find the amount of displacement in the crystal. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
themadquark said:
I am currently working on an experiment with piezoelectricity and was wondering how I would measure the force applied to the crystal. I have been tapping the crystal with a screw driver and was wondering how I would calculate the force of these taps as I cannot find the amount of displacement in the crystal. Any help is greatly appreciated.

You could rig up a ratcheting spring mechanism. The spring compresses with the tap, and the distance it compresses is measured with a ratcheting rod of some sort...

On second thought, you don't need a ratchet. You just need some marking mechanism to mark a rod as the spring compresses. Measure how far the mark goes.

BTW, this will just give you the peak force. You would need to video tape it to figure out the force versus time graph...

Thanks, I was thinking to rig up a sort of spring and just use Hooke's Law. I'm guessing I could probably use a ruler and sheet of paper to mark the spring's peak and compression.

Calculating impact force can be a complex process, but there are a few steps you can take to help determine the force applied to the crystal in your experiment. First, you will need to determine the mass of the screwdriver you are using to tap the crystal. This can be done by weighing the screwdriver on a scale.

Next, you will need to measure the acceleration of the screwdriver as it makes contact with the crystal. This can be done using a high-speed camera to capture the motion of the screwdriver or by using an accelerometer attached to the screwdriver.

Once you have the mass and acceleration, you can use the equation F=ma (force = mass x acceleration) to calculate the force applied by the screwdriver to the crystal. Keep in mind that this will give you the force at the point of contact, but the crystal may also experience additional forces due to its own mass and the force of gravity.

It is also important to note that piezoelectric crystals can have different properties and may respond differently to different types of forces. It may be helpful to consult with a materials expert or review the specific properties of the crystal you are using in your experiment.

Overall, accurately measuring and calculating impact force can be a challenging task, but by carefully considering the mass, acceleration, and properties of your materials, you can obtain a reasonable estimate of the force applied to the crystal in your experiment.

1. How do you calculate impact force?

Impact force can be calculated by using the formula F=ma, where F is the force in Newtons, m is the mass of the object in kilograms, and a is the acceleration in meters per second squared.

2. What factors affect the impact force of an object?

The impact force of an object can be affected by its mass, velocity, and the material it is impacting. The angle of impact and the duration of impact also play a role in determining the impact force.

3. How does the impact force of a falling object change with distance?

The impact force of a falling object increases as the distance decreases. This is because the object has less time to decelerate and reduce its impact force as it falls a shorter distance.

4. How does the impact force of a car crash affect passenger safety?

The impact force of a car crash can greatly affect passenger safety. This is why it is important for cars to have crumple zones that absorb some of the impact force and for passengers to wear seatbelts to reduce the impact force on their bodies.

5. Can impact force be reduced?

Yes, impact force can be reduced by increasing the duration of the impact, increasing the distance of impact, or by using materials that can absorb or deflect the force. Proper safety measures, such as wearing protective gear, can also help reduce the impact force on the body.