Car Alternator Output: Voltage Decrease in Heavy Loads

In summary, the voltage regulator increases the alternator current as the load becomes heavier to maintain the voltage at a regulated level.
thkking
Hi.
I have what seems like an easy question, but I'm having trouble answering it myself.

As say a standard 3-phase car alternator has a heavy load placed on it, the voltage regulator would increase the current into the windings creating a greater magnetic field and thus increasing alternator current output.
But why would voltage decrease through the car as the load became heavy?
It would seem that the voltage would increase (or at least maintain it's maximum regulated level) as alternator current output increased, until the maximum regulated alternator output was reached, and at that point would still be maximum.
Thanks for any info.

Engineering news on Phys.org
It is because any voltage source has an associated output impedance. As the load becomes heavier (lower resistance), the increased current drawn by the load generates a larger voltage drop across the source impedance of the power source (in your case the alternator & voltage regulator), so the output voltage seen at the power supply terminals droops.

The beefier the power supply, the lower the output impedance. And when there is a voltage regulator in series with the power source, the regulator will have a fairly low output impedance (and hold the output voltage pretty steady), up until the point where the regulator goes into current limit (to protect itself from overheating), or until the input voltage to the regulator from the power source drops below the minimum input voltage of the regulator.

That makes total sense.
That’s what I was thinking, but it seemed too easy, lol, and my linear thinking was that as the alternator’s nominal output is going to be increased (as you said “beefier”) the impedance is increased…but then again it wouldn’t make sense to purchase a high output alternator if the impedance was increased with design. :smile:
Thank you.

1. What is a car alternator and what is its function?

A car alternator is an electrical generator that is responsible for producing electricity for a car's electrical system. Its main function is to convert mechanical energy from the engine into electrical energy that is used to power the car's electrical components.

2. How does the car alternator output voltage decrease in heavy loads?

In heavy loads, the car's electrical system requires more power, which puts a strain on the alternator. This can cause the voltage output to decrease due to increased resistance and a decrease in the alternator's ability to produce electricity.

3. What are the potential causes of a decrease in car alternator output voltage?

There are several potential causes for a decrease in car alternator output voltage, including a faulty voltage regulator, worn out brushes, a loose or damaged alternator belt, and issues with the car's battery or electrical system.

4. How can you test the voltage output of a car alternator?

To test the voltage output of a car alternator, you can use a multimeter to measure the voltage at the battery while the car is running. The voltage should be between 13.8-14.4 volts. If it is significantly lower, it may indicate a problem with the alternator.

5. What should I do if I notice a decrease in car alternator output voltage?

If you notice a decrease in car alternator output voltage, it is important to have it checked by a mechanic as soon as possible. Continued use of the car with a faulty alternator can lead to further damage to the electrical system and potentially leave you stranded on the road.