Significant Figures in Scientific Calculations

In summary, sigfigs are a way of representing numbers with multiple digits accurately. They are used in multiplication and division, addition and subtraction. If you are still having trouble understanding the concept, remember the rule that the final answer will have the same number of sigfigs as the number with the least sig fig in the original problem.
Demiwing
I don't really get the concept of significant figures. Anyone can help me out?
1200 X 23.4
What is that in significant figures?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
*Significant figures = "sigfigs"
Remember that products will have as many sigfigs as the least accurate multiplier.
Here, in your case, 1200 [itex] \Rightarrow [/itex] 2 sigfigs, and 23.4 [itex] \Rightarrow [/itex] 3 sigfigs.

*Therefore, the product will have two sigfigs, represented as [itex] 28000 = 2.8 \cdot 10^4 [/itex]

->Just remember the sigfigs product rule here :wink:

I always hated those when I was first learning them. Here are the basic rules.

-All digits except zeros at the beginning of the number are significant.
i.e 9.12 (3) 0.912 (3) 0.00000912 (3)

-Terminal zeros @ right of decimal point are significant.
i.e 912.0 has four.

Multiplication and division;

Final answer has the same amount of significant figures as the number with the least sig fig in original problem.

i.e 34.987 x 54.2 = 1896.3

Addition and subtraction;

Final answer has the same number of sig fig as the number with the least number of decimal places.
i.e 12.9875 + 1.23 = 14.22

I think the best way to explain it is, you answer can only be as accurate as the least accurate answer. If that makes sense.

If you still don't get it, I have another way to explain but it's as long, if not longer than this. I don't really want to type that out yet. Haha.

Hope this helps.

erok81 said:
I always hated those when I was first learning them. Here are the basic rules.

Hmm, I always liked sigfigs, never hated learning them.. :smile:

Last edited:
first term has two sig figs, the second has three, your final product should have two sig figs.

bomba923 said:
Hmm, I always liked sigfigs, never hated learning them.. :smile:

Ok, not really hated. But they are easy to get confused on. So as I was learning them I can't say I liked them. :tongue2:

But after the first few minutes I liked them. Most of the class was still having problems with them by the end though.

The concept is very simple, but it is surprisingly easy to make a mistake when working with sigfigs.

apmcavoy said:
The concept is very simple, but it is surprisingly easy to make a mistake when working with sigfigs.
*Mostly I just double-check my work to ensure proper use of sigfigs :cool:
However, the stupid mistakes I do make :shy:, are just silly arithmetic errors (working under duress!), usually (+) sometimes (-). Though when working under pressure/duress...double-checking isn't always convenient :rolleyes:

What are significant figures and why are they important?

Significant figures are the digits in a number that are considered to be reliable and accurate. They are important because they help convey the precision of a measurement or calculation.

How do you determine the number of significant figures in a number?

The general rule for determining the number of significant figures is to count all non-zero digits and any zeros between non-zero digits. Zeros at the beginning or end of a number may or may not be significant, depending on the context.

What is the significance of rounding in relation to significant figures?

Rounding is important when dealing with significant figures because it helps maintain consistency and accuracy in calculations. When rounding, the final answer should have the same number of significant figures as the least precise number used in the calculation.

How do significant figures affect scientific measurements and calculations?

Significant figures play a crucial role in scientific measurements and calculations as they help determine the precision and accuracy of the results. Using the correct number of significant figures ensures that the final answer is as accurate as possible.

What are some common mistakes associated with significant figures?

Some common mistakes associated with significant figures include rounding too early in calculations, not paying attention to the number of significant figures in the input values, and not maintaining the correct number of significant figures throughout a multi-step calculation.